[SOLVED] Does support dual GPU?

roberttim

Prominent
Nov 28, 2020
It will only support dual-AMD cards since it only brings AMD CrossFire compatibility. Sadly this motherboard doesn't tag along with NVIDIA SLI support so you won't be able to integrate dual NVIDIA cards.

Reactions: STRIDER9

STRIDER9

Reputable
Nov 5, 2020
It will only support dual-AMD cards since it only brings AMD CrossFire compatibility. Sadly this motherboard doesn't tag along with NVIDIA SLI support so you won't be able to integrate dual NVIDIA cards.
Is it good with Ryzen 5000 series cpu's?
For ex: Ryzen 5 5600X
As im planning to purchase now

roberttim

Prominent
Nov 28, 2020
I would recommend you to for a B550 or an X570 motherboard, considering they're more future-proof and bring features that you'll surely spend money on later in the build. For example, you ain't getting no Wi-Fi with AS Rock, so you may have to spend another 30-ish dollar in getting an expansion card for WiFi.
I can suggest you a motherboard if you let me know the form factor you're planning on.

bignastyid

Titan

OP would still be able to use dual Nvidia GPUs , but they would not run in SLI(which is pretty much dead anyway).

Strider, what are you trying to do? SLI or Crossfire setup for gaming, or maybe multiple gpus for multiple monitors?

STRIDER9

Reputable
Nov 5, 2020
OP would still be able to use dual Nvidia GPUs , but they would not run in SLI(which is pretty much dead anyway).

Strider, what are you trying to do? SLI or Crossfire setup for gaming, or maybe multiple gpus for multiple monitors?
Crossfire,to make future proof for atleast for next 3-4 years cause this is one time build

STRIDER9

Reputable
Nov 5, 2020
Please watch the language
Crossfire and SLI support in newer games is almost non existent. They are dying tech.
I guess you are right cause newer GPU doesnt support SLI/Crossfire and maybe future GPU wont have that feature
so its a removed up choice for me
BTW thanks for your time man

Last edited by a moderator:
okay i'll go for a newer GPU i guess
It does sound like Crossfire and SLI are effectively dead but you can still get DX12 Dual GPU support. It's been tested with two 6800XT's and shown to deliver pretty good performance uplift...almost doubling performance at 1440p in one case. I have to think it would also work with 6800's and 6900XT when it comes to us.

As you should expect, doubling up helps most with high-resolution gaming, especially at 4k where it's almost totally GPU-bound.

The specific game title will also need to support it with optimizations to see the best benefit; but that was true with xFire and SLI also. The good thing is it comes with DX12, making it 'standard' with Windows now, so maybe more developers will provide the optimizations necessary. You also don't need to use the same GPU, it can even be an AMD paired with an Nvidia as long as both have DX12 support.

The bad thing about that is games on DX11 or earlier, OpenGL or even Vulkan will probably never benefit from this. Not unless the developer is willing to invest in porting to DX12 and putting in the dual GPU optimizations; not likely unless it will result in more sales.

ADDed: but that doesn't answer how the B450 Steel Legend will support dual GPU's...

With a Ryzen CPU you can have one PCIe slot at gen 3 x16 bandwidth and one PCIe slot at gen 2 x4 bandwidth. That second slot's bandwidth could have impact on a GPU's performance and it could be taken away completely if you use the second M.2 slot so you'll have to remember that. An X series board would definitely be better...or maybe a B550 since it provides PCIe gen3 to the slots and gen 4 to the first GPU.

Last edited: