Question Does the amount of stuff on my drive affect the lenght of time it takes to reinstall windows?

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
So I had a 120GB ssd with about 10GB of storage left. I bought a better larger ssd that I want to clean reinstall windows on and delete all the old files from my 120gb ssd. I installed Win10 on a 2.0 USB and am in the process of installing windows. It has been 2 hours and I am on 15%. Why is it taking so long? I've done this before and it's never taken this long. Is it because the USB is 2.0, because the old SSD is slow and only had 10gb of available space left?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Installing Windows to a new SSD will require re-installing all of your games.

Have you considered cloning your old SSD to the new one and then expanding the partition to use all of the new space? This would keep your current apps/games intact.

I suspect the install delay is tied to having multiple storage devices installed. For best results (clean install), you should only have the target SSD installed when installing Windows.

Tennis987

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2015
Installing Windows to a new SSD will require re-installing all of your games.

Have you considered cloning your old SSD to the new one and then expanding the partition to use all of the new space? This would keep your current apps/games intact.

I suspect the install delay is tied to having multiple storage devices installed. For best results (clean install), you should only have the target SSD installed when installing Windows.
The drives involved in the install dont have anything important so they will be clean. I backed it up on an external drive. My m.2 hopefully should not be wiped after the install because I am not installing windows on it and keep my 800gb of games on it. Funnily enough I did install a free clone software but Windows Defender detected a Trojan from it so I gave up and here we are waiting for the install.