Question Does the BE200 WiFi 7 adapter ugrade need new antennas ?

Aug 22, 2023
I upgraded from an Intel AX203 to an Intel BE200 WiFi adapter in my Lenovo ThinkBook 16 G7 IML laptop.

Do the internal antenna black and gray coax connectors order matter, can you hook up MAIN and AUX backwards?

Do I need new internal antennas for upgrading from WiFi 6 to 7?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
They are usually placed at the top edge of the laptop's bezel. You should follow the sequencing of the cables. 1 = black and 2 = white, usually. If you got the same form factor wireless adapter, then you don't need to worry about changing out antenna's.

Are you actually willing to try to disablement a laptop far enough to even see if you can replace antenna. Most antenna are behind the screen and the screens on many laptops you must heat to disassemble because they are so thin.

I don' think it matters which cable you use if you are using your current antenna.

I have not looked into discussions of antenna designed for things like wifi6e or wifi7. The key difference is the support of the 6ghz radio band. With 2.4 and 5ghz it is almost a exact double so the length of the optimum antenna is almost the same. With 6ghz added the optimum antenna might be slightly different in length. Hard to say this gets into very complex math very quickly and the difference in length many times are only millimeters difference.

From what I have seen most new devices being sold for 6ghz use do not have special antenna so it is highly likely the old antenna are good enough.

That is what it means. What I never really understood was why there were 2 different color wires. The small number of machine I took apart the antenna on the other end was the same. Many years ago before they did mimo you used to have a antenna for bluetooth but now days wifi and bluetooth co exist on the same antenna but I think they only run bluetooth on a single antenna.

From what I can tell you just hook both cables up and everything works.