Question Does the BIOS flashback rescue a toast board ?

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
If your board have a BIOS flashback button and you lost electricity during BIOS update. Does that mean you fried your mobo completely ? Or BIOS flashback button can help ?

If your board have a BIOS flashback button and you lost electricity during BIOS update. Does that mean you fried your mobo completely ? Or BIOS flashback button can help ?
That is supposedly one of the benefits: it can recover from a bricked burn like that. So if it should happen, by all means give it a try before binning it.

BTW, a bad BIOS update doesn't mean the board is 'fried'. It just doesn't have a viable BIOS to provide basic code needed to initialize hardware and start the boot process. All you have to do is get the BIOS into the BIOS chip and that's exactly the purpose of the flash-back button feature: to read it from a USB stick and push it into the BIOS chip.

moking01

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2014
That is supposedly one of the benefits: it can recover from a bricked burn like that. So if it should happen, by all means give it a try before binning it.

BTW, a bad BIOS update doesn't mean the board is 'fried'. It just doesn't have a viable BIOS to provide basic code needed to initialize hardware and start the boot process. All you have to do is get the BIOS into the BIOS chip and that's exactly the purpose of the flash-back button feature: to read it from a USB stick and push it into the BIOS chip.
That is my thought too. So theoritically the BIOS flashback button can save a bricked board. But what are the odds of it not responding to the new flashed BIOS?
It's 50\50 at best . My Gigabyte board was toast even with a Dual BIOS when my cat bumped one of my other PC's during a flash. Hopefully you can get it up and running.
Thats a bummer! Even with dual BIOS? Dang
And i dont have a that issue happening as of now. But im ordering a x570 Taichi and wantee to see what are my chances of something goes wrong

That is my thought too. So theoritically the BIOS flashback button can save a bricked board. But what are the odds of it not responding to the new flashed BIOS?

Thats a bummer! Even with dual BIOS? Dang
And i dont have a that issue happening as of now. But im ordering a x570 Taichi and wantee to see what are my chances of something goes wrong

If the reason the original BIOS update fails is a power interruption (as in OP) then the odds can be pretty good since they are frequently accompanied by a power surge damaging PSU, motherboard or both.

If you're paranoid about such things, have dodgy power from the utility or just like tech in general you should only attempt a BIOS update while on an UPS. Or at least only during fair weather.

Last edited: