Does the case matter?

luser

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey there!

Going to build me a quiet miditower, for which I have bought a Silent Systems SilentDrive HD-noisekiller, Silent Systems "Q Technology" Ultra Quiet PSU, and one of zalmans processor coolers. I'm only gonna have one hdd and a cd-rw in it, the rest will be in the noisy one, that has been put in a place far, far away from where I work...

Now I wonder if it matters what kinda case i buy? I'm planing on buying a cheap one.... Or do u recommend a special one? Does it really matter? Should i buy some dampening material to the inside of the case? Or is the "quiet" components enough?

All feedback is really apprieciated!

//With kind regards, luser....

Magic_Robertson

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2002
id say case matters...

like buying a at case and a atx mobo (wont work)

and if your going to have lots of stuff like fans and so on id get a powerfal power supply.

just make sure you get a nice looking one with nice powersupply and make sure the mobo and case are the same form facter
but at mobos can go into some atx case's (in nz they can anyway)

good luck mate :smile:

im a boring old fart and a crazy loon.
im also a mad alcoholic git but do that matter! :smile:

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, if case sensitivity is enabled then it does matter, especially passwords are almost always case-sensetive!

ok. case certainly matters a lot because you never know what board you will be putting in. the board can have the CPU socket at a real painful positions or IDE connectors real close to the edge that makes it clumsy to connect them, and blocking the air-flow that would have helped cooling the system.

I had to cut a part of the slot1 P-III heatsink with a hacksaw because it interfered with the hard disk, which couldnt be placed anywhere else in that crappy baby-AT case! You certainly dont want to do such things!

Usually, a larger case solves all the problems, its spacious, the distances for the cables and air to traverse are decent and gives a good impression like you have a BIG system to your friends!

Go for a case that is large enough to accomodate all te devices you plan to use, a mid or full tower ATX case with 3~5 5.25 inch drive bays, at least 3 3.5 inch drive bays and the backplate having sufficient standoff holes to supports almost all the motherboards.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>

luser

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ooops... sorry! Didn't make myself quite clear about the case. What i wondered was if the case matters if u are buildning a quiet comp... nothing else....

//luser

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by luser on 01/27/02 06:45 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, then make sure all the joints, rivets in the case are tight enough and it is spacious. There should not be any vibrations from the sheet metal on the case.

A spacious case will allow the fans to run slower (on lower voltage) and quieter. Make sure the PS fans do not make too much noise.

girish

<font color=red>Nothing is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>