[SOLVED] Does the color of a patch cord end have to be the same as the one on modem's GPON port ?

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
the guy who installed it said NO ! but i was searching the internet and some people suggested they should be the same i haven't checked the socket on the wall but my modem's port is green and there are also blue to green patch cords for sale . currently what i have is blue on both ends , do you think a proper patch cord will improve my connection ? (speed and latency)

I am going to bet this is a fiber cable and not a ethernet cable since wan on gpon is optical.

I forget lots of things and I am too lazy to go look it up but from what I remember the green ends where generally used on wave division equipment and gpon is wave division. I think green ends on fiber cables mean the fiber is cut at a angle rather than straight. The blue is the more standard straight cut fiber. I am not sure what happens if you plug the wrong on in. It will of course cause loss of light, it all depends on how strong the signal is. I forget why they angle cut these

I am going to bet this is a fiber cable and not a ethernet cable since wan on gpon is optical.

I forget lots of things and I am too lazy to go look it up but from what I remember the green ends where generally used on wave division equipment and gpon is wave division. I think green ends on fiber cables mean the fiber is cut at a angle rather than straight. The blue is the more standard straight cut fiber. I am not sure what happens if you plug the wrong on in. It will of course cause loss of light, it all depends on how strong the signal is. I forget why they angle cut these
But this also means that the other end of this 'patch cord' is also optical, which I highly doubt.

But this also means that the other end of this 'patch cord' is also optical, which I highly doubt.
I guess we need more details but if it is the incoming connection from the ISP that is a fiber optic cable. This is very different than the USA where they will not let you even touch fiber stuff. A GPON modem/router they let the user handle fiber optic cables which is silly considering how sensitive to even finger prints on the end of the fiber much less cracking it.

I guess we need more details but if it is the incoming connection from the ISP that is a fiber optic cable. This is very different than the USA where they will not let you even touch fiber stuff. A GPON modem/router they let the user handle fiber optic cables which is silly considering how sensitive to even finger prints on the end of the fiber much less cracking it.
Agreed. I don't think we'll ever see the consumer touching fibre here in the states unless they own it.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019

actually no

it's an entirely optical cable i'm talking about

Here :

the PON port on the modem is green , and there are blue to green patch cords for sale on the internet

some people on another forum suggested they the colors should match otherwise it might damage the modem

i thought it might improve my latency and speed

that's why i asked

Yep, that's a real optical cable. I would go with what billg said about the colors. If you are getting sub 10ms pings to your isp's gateway and the speeds you're paying for, I doubt a cable change will improve anything (if the blue is the wrong cable).

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
Yep, that's a real optical cable. I would go with what billg said about the colors. If you are getting sub 10ms pings to your isp's gateway and the speeds you're paying for, I doubt a cable change will improve anything (if the blue is the wrong cable).

how do i get to know isp's gateway IP then ? should i use the tracert command ? i have no clue . please help .

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019

This is a tracert i just did . is the 3rd one the ISP gateway ??

That looks really good in general. I don't know about the later hops but they are likely international hops and depending exactly where they go the numbers might be fine. It doesn't matter a lot you can't actaully do anything about the path your data takes though the internet.

The only part you have any control over is first couple of hops and those it is very obvious you have a direct fiber connection. Almost any other technology you will see around 10ms on the second hop.

I suspect the patch cable is fine. The symptom of a bad fiber cable would be packet loss. You can test this by leaving a ping run to that 2.184.6.1 IP address.

It has been more than 5yrs since I touched fiber cables like these. There is something different about the green and blue ends but I forget what but I know it is related to wave division equipment. I know fiber is extrememly sensitive to the alignment in the jack...especially single mode fiber. Still the symptom of a problem would be packet loss. If you were say looking to buy a new/longer cable it might be more important but if the one you have works I would not mess with it.