does the GPU mode drops from x16 when using a PCIe NVMe storage ?

Oct 13, 2018
when i was trying to look into MoBos i've read in the specification how many PCIes are there
https://www.asus.com/ae-en/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/
2 x PCIe 3.0 x 16 (CPU)
1 x PCIe 3.0 x 16 (PCH, at x4 mode)
3 x PCIe 3.0 x 1 (PCH)
and i noticed the "CPU" and "PCH", and the "x4 mode" things so i looked around

my question is if i'm going to get a Optane 905p storage which PCIe should i put it into?

I know that the PCIe on top will be for the GPU (planning only 1 ), but on another thread i've read that when using multi GPU the x16 mode that was used for 1 will be x8/x8 for two, will the same thing happen when i used the Optane 905P storage ?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
No, the GPU gets it's PCIE lanes from the CPU. With a single GPU it will get 16 lanes from the CPU regardless of your NVME drives. The NVME drives get their PCIE lanes from the chipset also known as the PCH. You cant choose to give your NVME drive CPU lanes, it will only use chipset lanes.

csm_z390_chipset_diagram_05e51c1c6b.jpg

Oct 13, 2018

thanks for the photo (it was very detailed and nice to have)

does that mean i should put the 905p storage PCIe in the last x16 PCIe tray since its PCH or it wouldn't matter if i put it in the second tray (it say CPU) and it will go to PCH ?

Oct 13, 2018
does that mean i should put the 905p storage PCIe in the last x16 PCIe tray since its PCH or it wouldn't matter if i put it in the second tray (it say CPU) and it will go to PCH ????