Does the intel I5 8600k stream and game well?

Dec 23, 2018
I currently have an
CPU: Intel i5 8600k
GPU: Zotac 1060 6Gb
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H

I had a 1050 ti and when i would stream it would run perfectly fine with minimal game lag. Now with the 1060 6gb every time i stream it slows my game down dramatically and my stream suffers frame drops. i've clean installed my GPU messed with my bitrate and nothing works. Any ideas?

First I would look at your internet provider and do a speed test. Make sure that you are getting the Mbps that you are paying for.
After that, I would look at the modem and router . Make sure that the there is no bottleneck there.

And it can also be a server problem slowing things down.

After that you can open Task Manager and look at % CPU and % Memory usage. And then go from there. It could be as simple as not enough memory.

Dec 23, 2018

Dec 23, 2018
I have been experiencing this problem to the point that i switched everything out with the cable company and i got all brand new equipment. I'm connected with a ethernet cord cat 7 but i was looking at my cpu usage while streaming its between 80-99% every time.

Ordinarily with CPU usage at 80 -99 % I would say that you are bottlenecked at the CPU. But that isn't the case here for two reasons. The I5-8600K isn't a lower performance processor, and the GTX 1060 isn't a high end graphics card. I would say that the I5-8600K is about perfect for the GTX 1060 or 1070.

In Windows Task Manager, select the Startup tab. That will list all of the applications running constantly in the background. If there are many applications listed, then I would suggest cleaning the list up. To start, scan down the list for applications with medium or high impact on startup. Then use the the disable button at the bottom of the page and repeat. Next, do the same for applications that you don't use every few days. That should leave you with a relatively short list of applications running in the background. Note this doesn't delete the application, it justy prevents them from running constantly.

Another possibility is malware. I would suggest running anti-malware software.

Now go back to the Processes tab, are there any processes using much %CPU usage? Browsers are big hogs of resources. So you may want to limit those while gaming.

And lastly is the I5-8600K overclocked? What are the operating and turbo frequencies?

Dec 23, 2018

Nov 25, 2018
I’ve been fiddling with my sons setup, that’s exactly like yours, and found that streaming through the CPU’s Quicksync (QSV) and recording through the GPU (nvenc) strikes the best balance of high in-game FPS and a decent output. In game FPS is 144 locked in Fortnite and 90-144 in PUBG.
He streams 720p/60 with an acceptable clarity in fortnite and PUBG. No dropped frames and consistent quality. 6mbit upstream to Twiich. It would probably do 1080p or at least 960p at 45 FPS.
This way the cpu cores basically don’t do anything else but handling the game and the transport of the stream. I.e. very little overhead and thus impact on the gaming experience.
If you need better quality or have a lower upstream, then youd probably have to have a more capable cpu. My son’s stream suffered with artifacts, blurryness and dropped frames when he used the cpu for streaming, but the games didn’t really suffer. Maybe, if you don’t game at +60 FPS in game, you might be able to strike a balance with the current CPU...?

Increasing the priority at which the streaming runs will cause the stream to maintain it's quality but would,possibly,cause the game performance to suffer.
OBS has priority settings build in.

Nov 25, 2018

Yes exactly, and he didn't want the game to suffer. That would make him play worse, and this way affect his stream. (he plays competitively)
But maybe a lower res or quality stream can be obtainable on CPU only. But then again, I feel you can just as well use QSV or nvenc :)

wiggynation

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
the problem you're running into is: that your new GPU is stronger, and isn't bottlenecking that CPu anymore. so the CPU is seeing more use. and thus can't handle the load of streaming with outputting more Frames.

Dec 23, 2018

[/quotemsg]

wiggynation

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
yes, Ryzen is definitely amazing for productivity. it's beat by intel in Straight FPS.
but the i7 7700 was it for me, I was done, I couldn't game and stream Rainbow Six Siege and Battlefield 1. the CPU didn't have enough head room. it got plenty of Frames, but couldn't stream.
so I went with the R7 1700, and then now I'm at the R5 2600 in my new build.

wiggynation

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
yes, Ryzen is definitely amazing for productivity. it's beat by intel in Straight FPS.
but the i7 7700 was it for me, I was done, I couldn't game and stream Rainbow Six Siege and Battlefield 1. the CPU didn't have enough head room. it got plenty of Frames, but couldn't stream.
so I went with the R7 1700, and then now I'm at the R5 2600 in my new build.