[SOLVED] Does the most popular gaming pc exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xBlackwater18

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2013
Hi guys,
For research I am trying to answer the question whether the most populair gaming pc exists or not. google searches haven't been helpful so maybe you guys can help me out?
Thanks!
Jake

Solution
No. The most popular gaming pc does not exist. It cannot.

Pc's by their very nature are modular. There's no two pc's that are identical other than 3rd party prebuilts. You change 1 item and it's no longer the same pc. With that amount of variety, PC literally becomes Personal Computer in every sense of the word.

So it's not like you can compare a single pc to an Xbox or PlayStation as those are not modular.

An Xbox is an Xbox, a PS is a PS. Both built as a single unit. A PC is a generic term for a mix of parts from anywhere and everywhere.
you mean pre-built systems?

most dedicated PC gamers stay away from any OEM builds and build their systems themselves with whatever components are available at a decent price\performance ratio or possibly with a certain manufacturer or color based theme in mind.

you can check online retailer(Amazon, Newegg, Best Buy, etc) customer ratings of pre-built systems and see which have the most reviews vs those with the best reviews and maybe come to your own conclusion about popular OEM PC gaming systems.

xBlackwater18

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2013
you have to be more specific about what you are looking for and why.

the most popular pre-built is likely the console systems. but depends on what you mean by "most popular"
I am referring to the most popular used pc specs configuration (i.e, the combination of pc specs that are most used by gamers)

I know there is the Steam Hardware Survey but they only show the most used component, not configuration

I am referring to the most popular used pc specs configuration (i.e, the combination of pc specs that are most used by gamers)

I know there is the Steam Hardware Survey but they only show the most used component, not configuration
The two most popular if I had to guess would be an AMD Ryzen 3600 + 3600Mhz RAM and the Intel 10400F + 3200MHz RAM and the reason for that is budget restrictions.

The most popular one is the one I've got.

What that means is: it's personal to a large degree and you have to decide where in the spectrum between general purpose computing device and gaming box you want your computer be. So you really can't find it in an internet meme. Otherwise: X-Box series X and PS-5's seem to be pretty darn popular...just try to find one. Nearly perfect gaming machines, but lousy general purpose computing device.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i don't think you are going to find a definitive answer to this. something like steam hardware survey will give you a good idea of the popular parts, but there is no way to know what combination they use.

i'd look at that survey and then infer the most common system as made up of those parts. probably as accurate as you will be able to manage overall.

Hi guys,
For research I am trying to answer the question whether the most populair gaming pc exists or not. google searches haven't been helpful so maybe you guys can help me out?
Thanks!
Jake
The problem is how do you define a "gaming PC"? Because if you say a single model that can be counted as a "personal computer", then you can find a list at https://computer.howstuffworks.com/10-most-popular-computers-in-history.htm

If you don't care about the definition of a "gaming PC" and expand it to computers in general that has some form of gaming app, then this gets murky as cellphones and game consoles technically count. For instance the Nokia 1100, the best selling cell phone ever, has Snake on it, therefore, it's a computer capable of gaming.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021

From what I've seen on gamers most configs have something like this:
Intel CPU, either 9900k and 10700K, ASUS mobo, nvidia graphics card, samsung SSD, EVGA/Corsair PSU, NZXT or Lian Li 011 case, Noctua air coolers or NZXT/Corsair AIO coolers
For peripherals they get brands like Razer, Logitech or HyperX. Monitors are in the 144Hz range, anything below that makes games, and I quote, "literally unplayable".

Overall that's what I usually see on forums in general when it comes to self proclaimed gamers, either they have really nice jobs or are swimming in debts to afford stuff like that.

Those who have obese wallets and are fanatic about components make custom loops out ot EKWB parts only, suggest them anything else and they'll start screeching that's chinese junk that'll "die in 2 days", same goes for power supplies, anything below 80+ Platinum instantly becomes "a fire hazard". I think those call themselves members of the PC master race, some kind of gaming cult present in reddit with some members scattered over forums.

Is this for some kind of survey?

Reactions: Why_Me
Intel CPU, either 9900k and 10700K, ASUS ROG mobo, nvidia graphics card, samsung SSD, EVGA/Corsair PSU, NZXT or Lian Li 011 case, Noctua air coolers or NZXT/Corsair AIO coolers
For peripherals they get brands like Razer, Logitech or HyperX. Monitors are in the 144Hz range, anything below that makes games, and I quote, "literally unplayable".

Overall that's what I usually see on forums in general when it comes to self proclaimed gamers, either they have really nice jobs or are swimming in debts to afford stuff like that.

Those who have obese wallets and are fanatic about components make custom loops out ot EKWB parts only, suggest them anything else and they'll start screeching that's chinese junk that'll "die in 2 days", same goes for power supplies, anything below 80+ Platinum instantly becomes "a fire hazard". I think those call themselves members of the PC master race, some kind of gaming cult present in reddit with some members scattered over forums.

FIFY ... they love those ROG mobo's ... cuz paying anything less than $280+ for a board so you can squeeze those four extra FPS isn't a gaming rig. :p

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
FIFY ... they love those ROG mobo's ... cuz paying anything less than $280+ for a board so you can squeeze those four extra FPS isn't a gaming rig. :p

For POST code, dual BIOS flashback, 12 USB ports on the I/O (and none are USB 2.0), and an external clear CMOS button, they could call this the Tinkle Fairy Fartmaster and I'd be down for it.

Reactions: Phaaze88

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. The most popular gaming pc does not exist. It cannot.

Pc's by their very nature are modular. There's no two pc's that are identical other than 3rd party prebuilts. You change 1 item and it's no longer the same pc. With that amount of variety, PC literally becomes Personal Computer in every sense of the word.

So it's not like you can compare a single pc to an Xbox or PlayStation as those are not modular.

An Xbox is an Xbox, a PS is a PS. Both built as a single unit. A PC is a generic term for a mix of parts from anywhere and everywhere.

Solution
Intel CPU, either 9900k and 10700K, ASUS mobo, nvidia graphics card, samsung SSD, EVGA/Corsair PSU, NZXT or Lian Li 011 case, Noctua air coolers or NZXT/Corsair AIO coolers

I have no facts but my instinct tells me these types are probably the minority and the majority are not active on Reddit or forums. Id expect casual gamers are the highest numbers but also their PC’s are probably not typical modern gaming rigs. More likely just using a pc they have available that’s either a general home or office pc. As gaming is casual I expect little appetite to spend big just for gaming, upgrading a gpu may not even be something they want to do.

I’d also ask what does ‘gaming’ actually mean? My dad is 80 and spends far too much time playing various card games on his PC’s (yes he has multiple, it’s a hobby). To my dad these are games, to the pc gaming community these are???

Jacozeelie

Respectable
Mar 1, 2019
Well, love some pc games and other not so much. I dont play console because i hate the remote controls, but i just got a old 8 bit consol and me and my wife play it until early mornings. She is not a gamer but i am. It all depends on your own thoughts. I think the old man is a gamer by heart

Colif

Win 11 Master
It likely depends on how they define it, and then if they nail down the individual parts, then I expect that you would find example of PC's with those parts. Whether that build is most popular? it doesn't matter for purposes of the question. Its a matter of opinion, and you can't win those arguments as everyone thinks they are right.

I didn't think I would find anyone with exact same parts as I have and within 6 months I helped someone who had 95% of the same parts as I do (they aren't uncommon) so it might just be a matter of time.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Linus did do an amusing video last year building the Herd Mentality PC, using the parts with the most five-star reviews on Newegg. The PC came out decently.

But more seriously, it's an unanswerable question. It's like asking what the most popular house is or what the most popular lunch is. Your needs, desires, and goals are going to vary as widely as the individual configurations do. If you just want a device that's identical to that of the most people, buy a PlayStation or an Xbox or a Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.