Does the page file size reduce automatically?

Jan 20, 2019
So my laptop had a crash, and when I checked I was greeted with a giant 16 gb pagefile allocation upon restart. So my question is, does the pagefile automatically decrease or do I have to manually set it from now on? I had always let windows handle the size, but my laptop has a single SSD drive and I really need all the space I can get from it, any help would be great!

Solution
You can follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

minidump file is only 256kb.

if you get another crash, it creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Colif

Win 11 Master
it depends on usage, and amount of ram.

If you use all your ram on a constant basis then page file won't shrink.
If you hardly ever use it, it will shrink. mine is only 1gb in size even though I have 16gb of ram, cause I never use all my ram so page file is never used.

If its set to auto it will shrink. If you use all your ram, it won't but if you are using 16gb all the time, you might need more ram.

Jan 20, 2019

So I found out that the large pagefile is because of a memory dump protocol that happens after a crash that causes it to grow so big, and that it apparently reverts back to normal after 4 weeks of normal operation. It's a pain since its rather big but I think I would just wait it out. Thank you for the answer though!

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

minidump file is only 256kb.

if you get another crash, it creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link here and I will get someone to convert file into a format I can read

Solution