[SOLVED] Does the patch cord from the wall to the pc need to match the cat 5e wiring up to the wall plug?

doug1234

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
Hi friends,

I'm trying to help a friend with some basic cat wiring.

It appears he has "T568A" wiring from router (in the basement) to a wall plug floors above. (as identified by pulling the plug from the wall and visually identifying the wires). Here it is:

1 - white green
2 - green
3 - white orange
4 - blue
5 - white blue
6 - orange
7 - white brown
8 - brown

My question - does the patch cable from the wall plug (mentioned above) to the PC need to follow the same T568A wiring or does it matter? This may be a silly question, but I am having some issues getting him wired up and thought that I should verify this.

Thank you.

Solution
The electrical signal can't see the color of the plastic. That really is the only difference between 568a and 568b. All that really matters is the wire pairs are in the correct locations. You could do very non standard stuff like use the brown pair for pins 1 and 2 and the green pair on 7 and 8 on both ends of a cable and it work fine. You don't want to do this because it is confusing to the human looking at the cable.
The electrical signal can't see the color of the plastic. That really is the only difference between 568a and 568b. All that really matters is the wire pairs are in the correct locations. You could do very non standard stuff like use the brown pair for pins 1 and 2 and the green pair on 7 and 8 on both ends of a cable and it work fine. You don't want to do this because it is confusing to the human looking at the cable.

Reactions: doug1234
Solution