[SOLVED] Does the position of a tower heatsink matter?

Jan 14, 2021
So, I've been getting bad temps on my R5 3600 because the cpu heatsync fan (SilentiumPC Spartan 4 MAX EVO ARGB cooler from a local seller) was mounted towards the rear case fan rather than the front fans. I want to put it on the other side of the heatsync, but before doing that, I have a question: I wanna rotate the whole heatsync 180°, reapply thermal paste and all that, because last time the fan itself was a pain in the ass to install and I really don't feel like repeating the whole process again and I feel like it would be easier to rotate the whole cooler. Would this hurt temps in any way?

So your fan was mounted on the left side of the cooler? Can you post a picture of it too? (Making sure the fan isnt mounted backwards on top of being on the wrong side).
There is nothing wrong with rotating your cooler that way, it certainly wont hurt temps, but improving them may be a stretch.
Depending on how the case airflow was setup it should offer at least some difference if installed properly.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So, I've been getting bad temps on my R5 3600 because the cpu heatsync fan (SilentiumPC Spartan 4 MAX EVO ARGB cooler from a local seller) was mounted towards the rear case fan rather than the front fans. I want to put it on the other side of the heatsync, but before doing that, I have a question: I wanna rotate the whole heatsync 180°, reapply thermal paste and all that, because last time the fan itself was a pain in the ass to install and I really don't feel like repeating the whole process again and I feel like it would be easier to rotate the whole cooler. Would this hurt temps in any way?
Not really sure what your saying but rotating the 180 is absolutely not needed you can just move the fan to the other side.

It really should look like this with the fan on the memory side of the motherboard and blowing the air to the back of the case.

https://www.silentiumpc.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/spc273-spc-spartan-4-max-evo-argb-08.jpg

The fan is just held on by clips how hard can that be.

Jan 14, 2021
So your fan was mounted on the left side of the cooler? Can you post a picture of it too? (Making sure the fan isnt mounted backwards on top of being on the wrong side).
There is nothing wrong with rotating your cooler that way, it certainly wont hurt temps, but improving them may be a stretch.
Depending on how the case airflow was setup it should offer at least some difference if installed properly.
Yeah, I know it now, but I'm gonna reply in case someone else has the same problem as I had and is confused.
If the fan is mounted towards the rear case fan, the hot air from the heatsink isn't pushed to the rear, but not pushed to the front either.
This particular heatsink pushes air towards the left. (given that it is mounted with the logo not upside down) while the fan, in the way I put it initially, pushed back the air onto the heatsink instead of helping it reach the rear, resulting in a hotter heatsink, case and CPU.
So I found out the answer is NO to my initial question, because if I rotate the cooler it would be the same thing.
So yeah, I really need to just take the fan off one side and put it on the other.
Thanks!!

Yeah, I know it now, but I'm gonna reply in case someone else has the same problem as I had and is confused.
If the fan is mounted towards the rear case fan, the hot air from the heatsink isn't pushed to the rear, but not pushed to the front either.
This particular heatsink pushes air towards the left. (given that it is mounted with the logo not upside down) while the fan, in the way I put it initially, pushed back the air onto the heatsink instead of helping it reach the rear, resulting in a hotter heatsink, case and CPU.
So I found out the answer is NO to my initial question, because if I rotate the cooler it would be the same thing.
So yeah, I really need to just take the fan off one side and put it on the other.
Thanks!!
CPU cooler fan should be positioned to "Go with the flow" of air thru the case.
Assuming you have intake fan(s) in the front and Exhaust fan(s) at the back of case, best position for CPU fan is to blow thru the cooler toward rear exhaust fan. If exhaust fan is at top of the case, than again CPU fan should blow thru cooler body toward top fan.

Jan 14, 2021
CPU cooler fan should be positioned to "Go with the flow" of air thru the case.
Assuming you have intake fan(s) in the front and Exhaust fan(s) at the back of case, best position for CPU fan is to blow thru the cooler toward rear exhaust fan. If exhaust fan is at top of the case, than again CPU fan should blow thru cooler body toward top fan.
yeah, ik, just presenting the situation from my setup: 3 intake front, 1 exhaust back

Jan 14, 2021
In that case place CPU fan at right of the cooler so it blows thru it. That would be optimal position. If that doesn't produce acceptable temps, cooler is not adequate.
yeah, someone already told me that on another forum, will do. consider this thread as solved because idk how to add the tag