Does the Ryzen 5 1400 support Windows 7?

Dennis_Orlando

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017
I'm planning to buy a new PC with a dual-OS: win 7 for my family and Win 10 when I play games. But does this cpu support Win 7?
Edit: I saw a guy using ryzen 7 with Win 7, and some other articles saying you can still force-install it. If it's true: how?

Solution
You need to create a bootable USB with Rufus or similar .

http://www.techfleece.com/2015/07/08/how-to-create-a-bootable-windows-usb-drive-using-rufus/

& as I said you need a ps2 mouse or keyboard to complete the install process

ps2.jpg

With those connector , USB peripherals will not work during the install of win 7 on a ryzen build , they will work once it is actually installed & booted
Ryzen supports win 7 absolutely fine.
The only issue is on the initial install where the ryzen chipset USB drivers have no native win 7 support.

To install it you NEED to use a native ps2 cabled mouse or keyboard or you will not be able to go through the steps in the win 7 install process

What I don't understand is why you'd use win 7 at all when win 10 allows multiple user logins ??

Install classic shell on the family account & to all intents & purposes it will on the surface resemble windows 7 anyway.

Dual is installation is pointless unless there is some software that actually does not work on win 10 that your family needs.

While you will be able to install and run Windows 7 on it, with maybe some extra effort, Microsoft is officially throwing up road blocks in the way of refusing to allow Windows Updates for anything prior to Windows 10.

Being fully x86 and x86-64 compliant, Windows 7 and Ryzen can't help but work correctly together, provided you have drivers for the other devices you need.

You will lose out on some software support for the CPU itself, such as the custom Windows 10 power profile and Ryzen Master, but you obviously don't need the Ryzen Master software and won't likely notice the lack of the slightly improved power profile.

There is an unofficial patch that re-enables Windows Updates for both Windows 7 and 8.x with newer processors that can be found here.

Dennis_Orlando

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017

Thanks! But I didn't understand how to install it: I downloaded the files you need to plug in with an USB, but how can I use a mouse or a keyboard to do this? I didn't find anything on the internet...

+ I'm installing Win 7 because I prefer it a lot more than 10 (and my not-so-much-technological family agrees). but actually I'm probably using 10 since it's supported from almost all the world and in some games it also has better performance/stability

You need to create a bootable USB with Rufus or similar .

http://www.techfleece.com/2015/07/08/how-to-create-a-bootable-windows-usb-drive-using-rufus/

& as I said you need a ps2 mouse or keyboard to complete the install process

ps2.jpg

With those connector , USB peripherals will not work during the install of win 7 on a ryzen build , they will work once it is actually installed & booted

Solution

Dennis_Orlando

Reputable
Apr 28, 2017

So I need a ps2 cable with an USB adapter/connector?

marceleamontero

Prominent
Sep 30, 2017
The flash drive won't work because USB is not supported. I was able to use an old cd rom and a ps\2 keyboard to install the USB and lan drivers after which the settup was a breeze. Note that my settup was a Kaby Lake config. But the methodology was essencially the same. Also note that a usb mouse will not work with the ps2 protocall with just an addaptor. You need an actuall ps2 accesory. Hope this helps.