Does The USB 3.0 Controller On Your Motherboard Matter?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akula2

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
USB 3.0 Controller On Your Motherboard Matter?

Yes, but I'm not much happy with their performance yet.

But I observed Gigabyte P67 boards deliver better USB 3.0 speeds compared to its Asus counterparts.

G

Sad part is most consumers don't even use backups. Maybe they buy a Flash Drive to backup some files and pictures. Hardly anything that takes a long time to transfer onto Flash even with 2.0 USB. The problem is that anything new like USB 3 or Intel's Thunderbolt only on Mac's. Is the amount of products that take advantage of it.
For example why buy a Thunderbolt product if you have another Mac that cannot use it? USB 2.0 is so common its scary. Its great that chip makers keeps reinventing the wheel. But they should not expect the end user to keep dumping older technology just because its better.

marosy

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]I am a little surprised to see no mention made of USB 3 connections being dropped when plugging a (supposedly) USB 3-capable external dock or enclosure into a motherboard port connected to a Renesas/NEC USB 3 controller. Speculation faults, for instance, the JMicron USB 3 controller on the dock/enclosure; ASMedia is speculated to be less problematic. At any rate, "real world" experience finds dropped connection problems, which makes speed a secondary concern. Can this "dropped USB 3 connection" issue be addressed as well? Thanks.[/citation]
Those are not speculations. The problem did exist in case of JMicron. It was not a NEC/Renesas fault. JMicron is to be blamed. The problem has been reslved by a new JMicron firmware. Let me know if you need the firmware. The NEC/Renesas drivers and firmware may need updating too.

JMicron had/has the same disconnections also in case of the EtronTech USB 3.0 ports. EtronTech has released new drivers 0.104 just to handle the crapy external HDD enclosures with the JMicron controller chip.

The NEC/Renesas controller is the "de facto standard", it is the most compatible and most performant.

Himeko

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
ASMedia is plagued with issues on my Asus Z68 mobo, most of the random BSOD's and undetected devices after S3 sleep are caused by the ASMedia usb drivers (tried various versions).

I'm never buying a mobo again with these chips.

Status
Not open for further replies.