[SOLVED] Does these two CPUs support DDR3L RAM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
Hey everyone, so I managed to get this motherboard : https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Foxconn/H67A-S.html and I'm now looking to buy a CPU, I found two used cheap ones which are Intel core i3-2100 and Intel core i3-2120 and I was wondering if one or both of them support DDR3L RAM sticks or not, I have got 2 4GB DDR3L RAM sticks that I bought days ago, I checked what CPU-UPGRADE says about them and it says nothing about DDR3L, I also tried google and found no information but I read somewhere on the Internet that if my computer supports DDR3L then i3 CPU would work fine with them too, my motherboard supports DDR3L and so I guess those two CPUs I mentioned will support them too, right ?

Solution
Nope. The DDR3L spec calls out that DDR3L must work in DDR3 slots. It has nothing at all to do with the CPU. The only difference between DDR3 and DDR3L is that the "L" can run at a lower voltage. The reverse is not true however.

Khalil4life

Reputable
Jun 7, 2020
Since DDR3L will run like DDR3 in non L slots, it's not even an issue.

What's the bigger issue is why you're not getting an i5-2xxx versus the i3. The i5 will be significantly faster with any modern software/os because of the additional cores, and cost-wise, it shouldn't be much more than the i3:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...l-i5-2400-vs-Intel-i5-2500/749vs752vs793vs803

That would be in the future hopefully but for now, I will get anything that's cheap enough for me until I save money again to even buy i7, not i5.

That would be in the future hopefully but for now, I will get anything that's cheap enough for me until I save money again to even buy i7, not i5.
The thing is that the move from the i3 to the i5 is huge due to the number of cores even though the cost isn't. The move from the i5 to the i7 isn't as big and costs even more. The i5 is the sweet spot. I've got all 3 and the i5 was definitely the move I 'felt' the most versus the i7.

Reactions: Khalil4life
Status
Not open for further replies.