Question Does this case have good airflow ?

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
  • i5-6600K
  • Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
  • DeepCool CK500
  • 2x140mm front fans
  • 3x120mm top fans
  • 1x120mm back fan

So I bought a Deepcool CK500 because it was on sale. I am wondering if it has good airflow ? I want to overclock my CPU so I need better ambient temperature.

It has a front cover that comes off, when the front cover is on, there is some space between the cover and the case. This will allow air to get in from around the front cover.

There is also a CK560 with holes on the front cover, Does the CK560 give me a better airflow compared to the CK500 if I use the same number and types of fan for both cases ?

I have also bought a Cougar MX410 for my other build. How does this compare to the CK500 in terms of airflow and ambient temperature ?

Last edited:

logainofhades

Titan
I would say the CK500 is not a very good choice, for airflow. The CK560 would be better, and appears to be a decent case, airflow wise. Ambient temperature is the temperature outside of your case. What matters is how much of that air makes it into the case itself.

All three cases should be decent for airflow.
They have provision for 3 120mm or two 140mm front intake fans.
You can get as much airflow as you want by using higher speed fans(at the cost of noise)
What are the rest of the parts that you intend to install?

FWIW, if you are buying current gen ryzen or intel processors, do not expect to get something for nothing by overclocking.
Such processors are binned and the best chips are used in higher performing products.
Gamers are doing better by letting the turbo mechanism boost a core or two past what a oc can do.

Ambient temperature is usually the room temperature.
But, it really should be the temperature inside the case which will be higher.
That is what the parts to be cooled will be using.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
All three cases should be decent for airflow.
They have provision for 3 120mm or two 140mm front intake fans.
You can get as much airflow as you want by using higher speed fans(at the cost of noise)
What are the rest of the parts that you intend to install?

Does it matter that the CK500 doesn't have the reticles that the CK560 does on the front panel ? If I install the same number/type of fans in both cases, will CK500 and CK560 perform similarly in terms of airflow ?

here are my specs:

• i5-6600K
  • Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
  • DeepCool CK500
  • 2x140mm front fans
  • 3x120mm top fans
  • 1x120mm back fan

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I assume you're talking about the ventilation on the front panel? Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're referring to; I can't think of any PC case that has or needs measurement lines from a scope sight or a microscope.

It will make a difference. Take a deep breath. Now take a deep breath through a drinking straw. Restricted airflow has consequences.

Reactions: Karadjgne
What is your graphics card?

From your specs, you are good.
6600K is an oldie but goodie. It can be overclocked nicely with a Z motherboard.
Your cooler is excellent, and you have plenty of fan intake.
I might suggest not using the 3 120mm top exhaust fans.
They tend to redirect the front cooling aistream up and out of the case before it can reach the cpu cooler and graphics card.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
What is your graphics card?

From your specs, you are good.
6600K is an oldie but goodie. It can be overclocked nicely with a Z motherboard.
Your cooler is excellent, and you have plenty of fan intake.
I might suggest not using the 3 120mm top exhaust fans.
They tend to redirect the front cooling aistream up and out of the case before it can reach the cpu cooler and graphics card.

GTX 1070...Z170 board...

So you are saying I shouldn't worry about the front panel obstructing the front fans ? My thinking is that enough air gets through from the sides...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The more straightforward flow is, the better. Why add all these twists and turns, besides looking nice(subjective)? Fans have to fight physics too; best to make their jobs easier.

Probably(just looking at the front panels), MX410 > CK560 > CK500, in terms of possible front volume intake.

I can find a lot of cases on amazon that have the same design....they breath through the sides...I don't think it has a significant impact on CPU temps ?
That really depends on individual hardware setups. How they use their PC also varies.
Ex1: comparing 2 different Cinebench runs with an AIO top/front mounted, top mounted runs warmer, due to the primary air source(case ambient) being warmer.
Ex2: 2 different Cinebench runs with the PA120, one with the top panel filled with exhaust fans, and the other with none, the one with top fans runs warmer, because some of the room air is being pulled out before getting to the PA120... BUT, the benefit of this setup doesn't show itself until the gpu is in use; helping to get its heat out faster.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Air-cooled heatsinks use Ambient temp as the minimum temp for what they start at as far as the temp Delta goes. Ambient temp is the temp of the air surrounding the heatsink. So a case will have 2 temp zones, that being the temp outside the case and the temp inside the case.

The more restricted the intake is, the less air gets moved in, the less air can be moved out, the higher the case temps, so the higher the temps of everything using any kind of ambient air cooling. Cpu, gpu, motherboard chipsets, drives, all are affected.

To compensate for that you need better exhaust, something to overcome the lack of actual air moved into the case allowing for the low pressure to pull air into the case by other avenues.

The Cougar Mx410 stands the best chance at being better airflow, has the most unrestricted intake. The CK500 would be better setup with no intake fans at front, using a purely negative pressure, pop out the pci plates under the gpu and just use exhaust fans.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I won't usually recommend buying a new case with mediocre airflow, even if the hardware is low-power enough for it to be appropriate. Simply put, what happens if you want to upgrade to a modern i7? Or a Ryzen 9? Or get a beefier GPU someday? Throw in a future 8700X or a new 5080 or something, and all of a sudden, the "good enough" case becomes a hot tomb for your new equipment. Now, if you already have the case -- I'm a bit unclear on that -- that's a different matter, but I wouldn't buy something with restricted airflow if there's a reasonable chance I'll upgrade the parts. Yes, you get more noise from a ventilated case than a more sealed one at the same fan speeds, but with more airflow, you don't have to run the fans as fast.

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
I am not going to upgrade anything any time soon(for 7 years?) .. I just wanna know if this case provides adequate airflow...Though it would look ugly, I could remove the front cover as well...But I don't think I will ever need to even remove that cover... they way I see it, it performs similarly with or without the cover...

knowledge2121

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2013
You've got other things working against you with OCing, not just airflow... such as silicon lottery and the 3 layers between the cpu and your cooler's cold plate.

I am aware of those things... My Cooler is good performing, I will use good thermal paste(MX-5) and I might delid down the road as well...

....but would you say my case is adequate for this setup ? I don't wanna return it...