[SOLVED] Does this CPU cooler (Noctua NH-U9S) fit in my PC

timbal

Reputable
May 2, 2020
I have a micro atx motherboard, it's the gigabyte b450m ds3h v2, and have a Ryzen 7 2700X installed on it. The current CPU cooler is the one that came with the processer, the Wraith Prism. However, it's a very loud cooler, and can't have the side panel of the case closed, because temperatures of the cpu goes up to 84 degree Celsius, and makes games crash. I've tried to install the Arctic Freezer 50 onto the CPU, but then I realized that it's made for ATX motherboards, so I'll try another CPU cooler. I'm currently aiming for Noctua NH-U9S so I'm wondering if you guys can tell me that this cooler will fit in my PC and if it will be silent and cool down my CPU well, or should I buy a different cooler. My PC case is an AIO Lumina.

Solution
Then I guess the only Noctua perfect in my rig would be U12A. Can you please tell me if there are other coolers from other companies that perform in my pc well, or should I stick to this one? :)
If the case specifies 160mm, the nh-D15s will fit.
The case measurements are not always perfect.
And, there is a bit of wiggle room on the D15s; you can adjust the fan location a tiny bit.

Regardless, the U12A is going to be a very good solution for you.

Regardless, any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
Your case can support 3 120/140mm front intakes.
Two @140 would be good.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've tried to install the Arctic Freezer 50 onto the CPU, but then I realized that it's made for ATX motherboards, so I'll try another CPU cooler.
Motherboard size should not have stopped you from installing it, but the chassis clearance does: https://www.aio-group.com/productdetail.php?id=248
Max cpu air cooler height supported in that chassis is 160mm. The Freezer 50 is 166mm tall.

Noctua has compatibility lists available for your convenience: https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7 2700X-1015
The NH-U9S isn't that great on the 2700X from the looks of it.

Reactions: timbal

timbal

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Thank you very much. I've sorted out the best compatible Noctua fans, and it seems that the NH-D15S, and the U12A are the best coolers to choose from. Is it correct?

timbal

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Then I guess the only Noctua perfect in my rig would be U12A. Can you please tell me if there are other coolers from other companies that perform in my pc well, or should I stick to this one? :)

Jan 9, 2021
There are a lot of coolers under 160mm you can consider. The Scythe Fuma 2 and Scythe Mugen 5 are good options, as is the eternally popular and usually affordable Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. Plus the Noctua options you suggested, which are usually top contenders for good, quiet cooling.

Do a quick Google search for "CPU cooler 150mm" (or "155mm", or whatever), and you will find a lot of good options supported by detailed reviews. 160mm is generally a breakpoint for cases, so a lot of air coolers come in just under 160 to be compliant.

Reactions: timbal
If the case specifies 160mm, the nh-D15s will fit.
The case measurements are not always perfect.
And, there is a bit of wiggle room on the D15s; you can adjust the fan location a tiny bit.

Regardless, the U12A is going to be a very good solution for you.

Regardless, any cooler needs a good source of fresh air to let it do it's job.
Your case can support 3 120/140mm front intakes.
Two @140 would be good.

Solution