Question Does this CPU cooler / RAM combo work?

Apr 19, 2024
I‘m planning on building my first PC, and I plan to use the Thermalright Phantom Sprit 120 CPU cooler, along with the G.skill Trident Z5 RAM. Looking online, the Phantom Spirit has a RAM clearance of 42mm, but the Trident Z5 RAM has a height of 44mm. Does this mean this combo is a no-go, or is there a workaround to this?

Here is my current parts list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/m3LsQP

PC Part Picker is shaky on RAM clearance.

If those numbers of 42 and 44 are accurate, I'd assume you have a compatibility issue if the cooler in fact overhangs the RAM slots. The implication is that it does. I wouldn't think there is a workaround if you insist on those parts.

Alternatives are to get lower profile RAM or another cooler. Certain coolers are deliberately designed to NOT overhang RAM slots at all.

G Skill Ripjaws is considerably shorter, but maybe you insist on RGB?

Apr 19, 2024
PC Part Picker is shaky on RAM clearance.

If those numbers of 42 and 44 are accurate, I'd assume you have a compatibility issue if the cooler in fact overhangs the RAM slots. The implication is that it does. I wouldn't think there is a workaround if you insist on those parts.

Alternatives are to get lower profile RAM or another cooler. Certain coolers are deliberately designed to NOT overhang RAM slots at all.

G Skill Ripjaws is considerably shorter, but maybe you insist on RGB?
I used the official website of both companies, so I think it should be right.
I will probably go for the Ripjaws instead; RGB isn‘t that big of a concern for me.

Thanks for your help!