Does this intel processor compatible with this motherboard chipset?

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
Hello,so i finally bought an Intel core i5 7400 brand new after 4 months of waiting trying to sell my products.I just started looking for a good and nice ATX motherboard (much less tension overall than mini and micro boards) preferably ASUS,the best motherboard brand at the moment.

So my following question is if my new 7th gen new processor will be compatible with chipsets higher than B250,like this one.

https://www.pcfactory.cl/producto/27185-m-b-intel-strix-z370-h-gaming

(Please google translate it from spanish to english because is a chilean website)

That motherboard specs says for 8th intel processors.But i see that the socket is still the same (1151)

It will work perfectly without any problems?

What intel ATX motherboard do you recommend me for overall use specially for gaming?

Thanks.

Solution

Yes, all the other features on the Z270 motherboard will work with the i5-7400. Only overclocking will not work because the speed of...

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Hello,thank you for the reply.

I have understood what you have said.

Now,my last question,is Z270 chipset the higher i can go for my new processor? Which is the best/highest chipset i can get for it?

Thank you.

Yes it is.
But i5-7400 doesn't support overclocking, so you will not be able to use overclocking features of Z270 board.
You as well could get less expensive board - with H270 or B250 chipset.

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Im not interested in overcloacking at all.I dont like doing it personally.It just lowers hardware's life.

So,knowing that i will not be able to overclock my processor,the z270 will still be compatible and working every feature except of the overclocking? or is 100% made for 8th gen processors and none of their features will work unless is 8th?

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Hello,thanks for reply again.

Which OC features outside of RAM could be wasted if i buy this mobo?

Could you re-word your question? I don't quite understand what your asking.

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

The processor is compatible with the z270,i understand that.but since my processor is locked what features of the z270 would be unavailable to use? what would be wasted? will i benefit from mayority of features except the ram overclocking?

Yes, all the other features on the Z270 motherboard will work with the i5-7400. Only overclocking will not work because the speed of the i5-7400 is locked by Intel. They hope to encourage buyers to spend extra money to get a more expensive un-locked i5-7600K CPU instead.

But if you like the features available on a Z270 motherboard then you should buy it.

Solution

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Well,thanks,what mobo would you reccomend me for my processor?

My budget is like $200 but i can go little more.

Tom'sHardware posts a list. I like the Asus Prime Z270-A, but that's only $150.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-z270-motherboard-price-list,4882.html#p2