Question Does this mobo allow any OC on non-k sb?

uberinferno

Prominent
May 21, 2017
I'm looking for a cheap mobo to oc the i7 2600 non k, and found a gigabyte one and the MSI P67A-C45. Can the MSI one oc the cpu to its unlocked bin of 4.2ghz? the z68 GB one seems sketchy (both are used and sketchy, the seller of the GB one doesnt have any completed transactions)
i dont care if its good idea bad idea, worth on nonk i just need to know if that mobo can oc the cpu to 4.2.
(also if it will need any extra voltage than stock)

Hello man

Honorable
No...well not really. Some boards (ASUS for example) had an auto overclock feature that changed the base clock. I think I have a Z77 deluxe somewhere in my attic that does this with a 3700 non K in it. If I remember, the Z77 boards could also be used with the 2XXX intel CPUs. This base clock method is the ONLY WAY to overclock an intel non K CPU. A board with "overclocking support" won't let you just unlock the multiplier.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
SandyBridge (and Ivy for that matter) can be overclocked by increasing the 'bins'. Should be a max of +400MHz, which would take a 2600 non-K to 4.2GHz (give or take).

Not 100% sure what the setting is called on MSI boards, but should be pretty obvious, it'll be a multiplier (NOT BCLK) and with a locked CPU, it should max out at +4 / +400MHz.

Reactions: uberinferno