Question Does this mobod look like I will be able to have 6 sata drives and several M.2 drives at the same time?

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-aor...813145347?Item=N82E16813145347&quicklink=true
I'm looking at building a Plex Media Server and using the actual machine as also the storage device using unRaid to host Plex. I am planning on adding a bunch of HDD for storage in an array using parity and also using some M.2 as the cache. I will probably have to add a Sata card later on but for now 6 sata and a couple of M.2 should suffice for now.
Why I'm asking on this mobod is that on my last board, when I put an M.2 card in it took up 2 of my Sata ports and kind of screwed me up a little bit.
Thanks for any info that will help me make a decision on a board.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
50 TB right now.
That means - read the f** manual - section 2-7.

If you use NVME drive in slot M2M_SB, then SATA ports SATA3_2, SATA3_3 get disabled.
Thank you. I'll have to learn how to read that properly. As I stated, sorry for my ignorance. I do appreciate your time. It is great to have people so nice to take their time and help out ignorant people like me. Have a great day.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
It means look at Section 2-7 in the User Manual.

The case having physical space for 11 hard drives is irrelevant to what can be connected to the motherboard.
I'll just be adding in a sata card on the motherboard to help with the additional storage, (if it is even ever needed). It all depends on the HDD sizes 6that I end up getting to fill in the sata ports. I am looking at 14 and 16 TB drives at the moment.

USAFRet

Titan
Yes. I have a NAS that is a backup and a NAS that backs that up.
I also put in 50 TB but meant 30TB at the moment. I am getting new content all the time though. 4K takes up a lot of space.
My NAS setup is 3x 4bay pods.
The 4 bay QNAP, and two other USB connected pods.
~80TB total available space.

Playing through a small HTPC, there is zero difference in playing a movie from any of the 11 HDD's, out to any display in the house.