Question Does this processor look burnt ?

May 17, 2021
A friend of mine gave me a Dell Inspiron P91G001 laptop for free as suddenly the computer would not output to either the screen or HDMI, and the keys would light up for about 5 seconds before the computer would shut down. There are no led flashes showing on the charging port.

When I opened it up I noticed a spot around this processor that looked like it had blue green corrosion all around it, to the point it almost looked like the board had been exposed to acid or melted without being blackened by heat. I used 99% IPA and a qtip to clean the area, the motherboard cleaned up but the processor looks like some of the pins may be missing / cracked or discolored. It definitely stands out to me as a problem area, but unfortunately I cleaned the area before I got a picture of how it looked when I opened it up.
View: https://imgur.com/a/r5w0Ns7

Here are the pictures of the area. Hopefully someone will chime in here, though I'm not really expecting much.

What would be the best way to go about testing this chip? How hard would it be to get a replacement? I really doubt I could solder one back in, but if the motherboard is toast anyway I might as well try.

Also, using Google lens I have found multiple chips that are similar, but aren't an exact match, for example:

ISL95859HRTZ-T
Or
ISL95859HRTZ X65WTT

Are these chips compatible?

Lutfij

Titan
Looks like one of the surface mounted capacitors are missing, notice the bare copper contacts in all your pictures towards the lower end of the chip? You can use hot air on the chip to help reflow/reball the chip and see if that helps but I'm leaning towards that missing component being your first issue. Also, if you're handy with a multimeter, you should check for continuity issue on that part of the circuit.

Reactions: tennis2
May 17, 2021
Looks like one of the surface mounted capacitors are missing, notice the bare copper contacts in all your pictures towards the lower end of the chip? You can use hot air on the chip to help reflow/reball the chip and see if that helps but I'm leaning towards that missing component being your first issue. Also, if you're handy with a multimeter, you should check for continuity issue on that part of the circuit.
I thought so too, but looking at pictures on websites such as this
Specifically the picture of removing the left hinge, shows the bare copper spots as well. Looking at the data sheet for the chip it is programmed using resistors, so based on both the picture and the data sheet I'm assuming they are missing on purpose to properly program the chip for it's function within the laptop.

The chip and surround area are most clearly pictured below step 13.