Does this seem like a good PC build?

vivekperi

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014
Hi, I'm new to building computers and whatnot. I needed a gaming rig for under $700 and this is the primary hardware that I put together:-

Proc:- AMD FX-8320 (planning on overclocking it to 8350 levels)

MoBo:- MSI 990FXA-GD65

GPU:- Sapphire Radeon R7-260X

RAM:- 2x4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333MHz

PSU:- Corsair VS650 650 Watt

1366x768 monitor (will probably buy a new monitor in the near future, thinking of a 23" 1080p display)

HDD:- Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM (this will be the only HDD in the computer), SATA 6 GBPS

Does this seem like a good rig? I've been reading about this stuff online, I'm going to use it for heavy video editing and moderate to heavy gaming. Is there a bottleneck in this setup? Please let me know. Also, I'm probably going to use stock cooling on the 8320, and I know that's going to cause temperature trouble. Advice, anyone?

P.S. More specifically, I'm planning on doing some Let's Plays on YouTube, and I'm gonna need an "okay" gaming PC. Yeah, I know there are tons of Let's Players out there, but I want to see if I can do something...different.

Solution
I would recommend RAM with 16 gigs capacity and minimum 1886MHz speed.
Buy SSD + HDD like 120GB SSD + 2TB HDD. For HDD I would recommend WD Black/Blue Caviar series
If you've budget go for 1080p monitor with good refresh rate.

vivekperi

Reputable
Apr 30, 2014

Is the RAM frequency a problem? I mean, I could upgrade to 12 or 16 gigs with 2 more sticks when my need for it increases. Could I just apply an overclock to my RAM, I mean, if that's even possible? An SSD will not be possible at this time.

On a side note, I'm 16, and my parents are funding this system. I'm kinda outta options....if I can mod any of the current setup, that'd be great....

SquirrelPhantom

Reputable
Mar 19, 2014
If gaming, your RAM amount is fine. I would get 1600 MHz if possible but not necessarily needed. I would see about getting a FX-6350 instead and put that money towards a better graphics card like the Radeon 270x. If you are gaming, I feel the graphics card should take first priority if you want the best experience for your money. As for the overclocking, you would have to get a cost effective aftermarket cooler. Would need to know your case measurements in order to recommend one though.

RAM frequency and RAM capacity are different things. Yes, you can overclock your RAM to whatever value your mobo allows/supports.

Current config would work for sure. No issue there. You can upgrade later on if require.