[SOLVED] Does undervolting my gtx 1060 damage it ??

Xanthosis

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
I own a gtx 1060 which i bought at 2017 ... so recently i cleaned my gpu and changed it's thermal paste .. and it is getting pretty normal temp .. like 67-68 at 100% load .. I know it is safe but i am not comfortable with high temp+ fan noise ... so I lowered my power+temp limit to it's lowest point at (50% power limit and 60c temp limit) ..... my temp dropped under 60 c in doom eternal at high seetings locked 60 fps .. not getting any artifacts so far .....I am not graphics hungry guy .. i generally play games at 30 fps lock at high settings.. or max 60 fps lock ...so is it ok for me to undervolt my gpu and temp limit to it's lowest point? thanx

Solution
Probably not artifacts, that usually comes from faulty hardware. You can safely test out all your games at different settings though. The "worst" that could happen is a possible crash from not having enough voltage. If that happens, either just bring the voltage back up a bit or decrease the frequency/clock until it runs stable.

Effectively, you're underclocking your system. It's overclocking that poses a real danger to your hardware if not done correctly.
In terms of it getting damaged, you should be fine. When it comes to voltage, the damage comes from supplying too much of it, causing degradation and overheating. If it's undervolted you may see crashes depending on the quality of graphics you're trying to get, but that's just because there's not enough power.

If your gaming is stable with no crashes or any other graphics errors, you should have nothing to worry about.

Xanthosis

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
In terms of it getting damaged, you should be fine. When it comes to voltage, the damage comes from supplying too much of it, causing degradation and overheating. If it's undervolted you may see crashes depending on the quality of graphics you're trying to get, but that's just because there's not enough power.

If your gaming is stable with no crashes or any other graphics errors, you should have nothing to worry about.
THANX FOR REPLYING ... FEW MORE QUESTION S..will i be fine if i play my games at medium setting at 60 fps lock ?? i don't push my gpu that hard TBH ..would i face any kind of graphics artifact for undervolting??

Probably not artifacts, that usually comes from faulty hardware. You can safely test out all your games at different settings though. The "worst" that could happen is a possible crash from not having enough voltage. If that happens, either just bring the voltage back up a bit or decrease the frequency/clock until it runs stable.

Effectively, you're underclocking your system. It's overclocking that poses a real danger to your hardware if not done correctly.

Solution
you really can't damage GPU's from undervolting/underclocking. It is possible that you could experience crashing/artifacts when lowering voltages, clocks, etc but if you do experience this you aren't doing damage and can simply revert back to normal settings/closer to normal until its stable.

Damage only really comes from upping the voltage or letting it get too hot (although modern GPU's will prevent this for the most part).

Reactions: DrummerManSpike

Xanthosis

Honorable
Jul 22, 2015
you really can't damage GPU's from undervolting/underclocking. It is possible that you could experience crashing/artifacts when lowering voltages, clocks, etc but if you do experience this you aren't doing damage and can simply revert back to normal settings/closer to normal until its stable.

Damage only really comes from upping the voltage or letting it get too hot (although modern GPU's will prevent this for the most part).

Thanx both of you for your valuable time :D

Reactions: DrummerManSpike