does using a 'splitter' cable with a Raid card make each drive transfer data slower?

Sep 12, 2018
Hi! I am relatively limited in my hardware knowledge (compared to most of you), so please explain your answer in terms a noob would understand!

So i am attempting my first build, and I want to set up a raid 10 array with 4 or 8 1tb SATA III SSDs, meaning a total storage of either 2tb or 4tb. I am using an "Intel RS3UC080" SAS/SATA controller with 2 mini SAS HD ports

Now, as the controller only has 2 mini SAS HD ports, I was planning to use 2 6GBs/12GBs Mini SAS HD to 4x SATA cables which according to my understanding allows me to connect up to SATA III 8 drives to this controller.

My question is as follows:
if i connect 4 SATA III (6gb/s) drives to each mini SAS HD port via a 12gb/s cable, will they only be transferring data at 3gb/s since the cable rate is 12gb/s? or am i missing something?
and if so, would the best course of action be to only plug in two 6gb/s drives on each 'splitter' cable as to not bottleneck, leaving me with only 4 drives total and 2tb of space? (I'd much prefer 4tb with 8 drives, but not if it means sacrificing speed)

Solution

Any typical NAS box can do that.
Qnap, Synology are the two I'd recommend.

I have a Qnap TS-453a, 4x 4TB HDD in RAID 5.
That could just as easily be 4x 8TB whatevers.

Leave your workstation RAID-free, just have fast NVMe drives. Offload data to the NAS box as needed.
Sep 12, 2018

It's a video editing rig! I want to have 2-4tb of data in a raid 10 so its fast but also has some redundancy as well. Is 8 drives is rather excessive? I could get 4 larger drives, or just stick to 4 1tb ones! It's for professional 4k raw footage so i figure it needs fast read & write times, but I mean I also don't want to spend more than I need to.

Sep 12, 2018

I wasn't aware that this was that complicated!! I have never done this before. Just looking for 2-4 tb of storage in a raid 10, how would you set it up?

Why are you limiting your storage capabilities? Storage is cheap and you seem to want to limit yourself. I have two 10 terabyte hard drives hooked in a regular RAID set up, and 10 tb is not even that large, you will find that with 4k videos you might fill that up fast. Of course my total storage system totals more than 30 terabytes, but the 20 terabytes system is just for my hobby.

https://www.wdc.com/products/external-storage/my-book-duo.html

Sep 12, 2018

oh * that thing is awesome! Thanks for posting that! My goal was to have 2-4tb on the computer for the current projects, with like 8+tb of external storage for the older stuff that I don't need just sitting on my computer but also don't want to lose.

USAFRet

Titan

Any typical NAS box can do that.
Qnap, Synology are the two I'd recommend.

I have a Qnap TS-453a, 4x 4TB HDD in RAID 5.
That could just as easily be 4x 8TB whatevers.

Leave your workstation RAID-free, just have fast NVMe drives. Offload data to the NAS box as needed.

Solution