Does using Intel integrated graphics affect the CPU performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mawbat

Reputable
Dec 11, 2014
Hi!
I'm building my new desktop with an i7 4790K and since I wanna do audio production with it , there's no need for a powerful graphics card so I'm gonna stick to integrated graphics on the processor.
But I don't know if it's gonna affect the CPU's performance or not!
Is it gonna consume processing power? Should I buy a cheap graphics card in order to use my CPU's maximum performance?

Solution
No, it won't affect your CPU performance per say. However, it will eat much more into your onboard memory. If you use a single channel memory, it will affect you even more, since graphic intensive applications need a very wide memory bandwidth. So, in case you are using integrated GPU and have a single channel memory, your CPU performance will be bottlenecked by the memory. A discrete GPU should not have that problem.

azathoth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

The HD4600 graphics inside of the CPU will do the graphics processing of regular windows usage without any issue at all. It will not change your CPU usage at all if you were to add a dedicated GPU in the slightest bit.

The only thing that would change would be maybe a couple degrees of temperature due to less of the chip being used overall, which unless you were planning to HEAVILY overclock wouldn't be any concern either.

---Zero performance hit using the HD4600 integrated graphics.

Rit_86

Distinguished
No, it won't affect your CPU performance per say. However, it will eat much more into your onboard memory. If you use a single channel memory, it will affect you even more, since graphic intensive applications need a very wide memory bandwidth. So, in case you are using integrated GPU and have a single channel memory, your CPU performance will be bottlenecked by the memory. A discrete GPU should not have that problem.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.