Does using udimm or dimm matter ?

ayato.soy

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017
Hello there smart ppl. I am paranoyed right now of the fact that I've just bought ddr4 4gb ram udimm. I am on a tight budget so to punches this ram I gave like 90$ ( that would be the price if you lived in my counter) but w/e! I am using the MSI B250M Bazooka motherboard and will there be a problem with the udimm memory ? I've read that there is a difference between dimm and udimm ram and I am a little bit worried right now.... So that's all I've wanted to ask you :) Thanks

Solution

jr9

Estimable
All RAM is DIMMs and most normal motherboards run on UDIMMs which means unbuffered. Buffered RAM is more for servers that need the RAM to have the best electric stability.

MSI B250M Bazooka runs on uDIMMS so you are fine.

UDIMM means Unbuffered Dual In-line Memory Module. This is the type of memory used on most (consumer) motherboards.

DIMM just means Dual In-line Memory Module. Strictly speaking, this could mean any type of DIMM such as Unbuffered, Registered, or Load Reduced. However, it is usually understood by most people that when mentioning "DIMM" by itself, it usually means that the memory is Unbuffered since this is the most common type of memory used (in consumer motherboards).

But, when buying memory for systems, you have to be certain of what specific type of memory that should be purchased (Unbuffered, Registered, Load Reduced), as the system motherboard would usually only work with one type of memory.

For the MSI B250M BAZOOKA, this motherboard takes standard (Unbuffered) memory only (ie UDIMM, or DIMM <- but make sure that the "DIMM" is unbuffered type).

ayato.soy

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

jr9

Estimable

It will work but there's no guarantee there won't be issues with your existing RAM. It is recommended to buy RAM in kits so that you know the DIMMs will work together for sure. If you purchase that exact same DIMM twice that also works. 2x4GB is a good way to go that way you get dual channel. You can mix and match RAM at your own risk.

ayato.soy

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

I don't currently have existing RAM right now. I am building my first pc and I've just bought this 1x stick and after a couple of days I will buy the another one.

jr9

Estimable

That's would be your best best. Dual channel is essential just make sure it's the exact same one and you are good.

Solution

ayato.soy

Prominent
Nov 18, 2017

Okey man thank you alot!