[SOLVED] Does Windows 7 need updating before upgrading to Windows 10?

milom98

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
So I have a family members Windows 7 Dell desktop that is approximately 8 years old that I try to keep in good running order for them but with the end of Windows 7 support coming and the computer getting a little sluggish, I'm thinking it's time to upgrade it to Windows 10. The computer is in good running order, just got a little slower.... over the years and about all that they do with it is check email, browse the internet and facebook.

What I'm wanting to do first is a factory reset of the computer to see if that will help with the slow downs before starting the Windows 10 upgrade.

My question is, would I need to fully update Windows 7 after the factory reset before I can start the Windows 10 upgrade? I ask because my internet is slow and it would take forever to get Windows 7 updated.

Just a fyi, Windows came preinstalled on the machine.

If I'm just spinning my wheels with the factory rest then let me know of if you have any other suggestions, they are welcome, well besides buying a new pc. :)

milom98

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
No update or reset necessary.

Follow this guide;

Thanks for the replies.

So would doing a factory reset before updating to Windows 10 not help speed things up on the computer after the update?

I've done a few factory resets on computers that had slowed down and it always seemed to speed things up for a while at least.

The desktop is a Dell Insprion 570.

Thanks again.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks for the replies.

So would doing a factory reset before updating to Windows 10 not help speed things up on the computer after the update?

I've done a few factory resets on computers that had slowed down and it always seemed to speed things up for a while at least.

The desktop is a Dell Insprion 570.

Thanks again.

There will be no difference fast tracking the process no matter what you do.

milom98

Reputable
Dec 5, 2019
There will be no difference fast tracking the process no matter what you do.

I understand that there is no fast tracking the upgrade process.

What I'm asking is:

Would a factory reset while still on Windows 7 help with a performance improvement since it's an older system that's slowed down some over the years ?

And if Windows 7 would need to be fully updated after the factory rest before I could upgrade to Windows 10?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
An upgrade withholds user settings and data so in this case, resetting would make sense if were to continue with the upgrade. After fulfilling the upgrade, can simply do a clean reinstall of Win10 quite easily. This id imagine would be the most efficient way.

Reactions: Nonkii