Does Your AMD FX Platform BSOD with Steam? Read This.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Well at least this is not another one of those TLB issues where Bios vendors had to issue a patch that would result in a big performance loss like on the first gen Phenoms.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Man its just gettin worse for AMD lately, with the under performing bulldozer, the latest top flight nvidia cards besting the high end HD 7xxx series, and now the mobo issues, things aint looking great for AMD at the moment

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]Man its just gettin worse for AMD lately, with the under performing bulldozer, the latest top flight nvidia cards besting the high end HD 7xxx series, and now the mobo issues, things aint looking great for AMD at the moment[/citation]

i used to be a big AMD fan, but switch both platforms GPU and CPU cus of AMD just not competing

I'm sure Intel had a hand in this, they have a history of cheating to gain market share.

AMD can't compete in GPU's? LOOL, until the GTX680/670 came out, Nvidia was getting trounced by AMD for the last 5yrs. Get real noober.

G

I get that from time to time. I run a 1055T and a Sabertooth 990FX. I thought it might be my hardware, but after reading this, I think it's the BIOS. Good thing I still have my i3 2100 handy.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
I've read all the KBs, but I can't find any indication of what the actual issue is. What, specifically, is Steam doing that causes BSoDs on AMD platforms?

G

[nom]geekapproved[/nom]I'm sure Intel had a hand in this, they have a history of cheating to gain market share.AMD can't compete in GPU's? [/citation]
1st part, I really doubt Intel has anything to do here..
2nd part AGREED

[citation]LOOL, until the GTX680/670 came out, Nvidia was getting trounced by AMD for the last 5yrs. Get real noober.[/citation]
AGREED... that dude is probably from another planet

pwnbroker2

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
first rule of system building, check for bios updates. it even tells you to do so in the handbook that comes with the mb. ive built 2-3 dozen of these systems all with 970 or 990 chipsets from asus. the 0901 update was patched about december of last year although it didnt go into specifics it did enhance stability over 0701. in the burn in tests, i didnt have any trouble with steam but it was a quick run of 4 games. for those with asus mb forget the 0901 and download 1101, the newest version which has some stability fixes for the 1090t and 1100 as well.

all mb's have bios problems even with SB or IVB chips. i cant tell you how many times a customer brings in a system that they have tried to build and thinks it has a defective mb, memory slots or gpu when all was needed was the latest bios fixes. asrock gen3 is notorious for this and look at the gigabyte ud3h board didnt certify some memory with IVB, particularly gskill.

it just makes me laugh sometimes, but then again, laughter is good for the soul.

[citation][nom]tical2399[/nom]Man its just gettin worse for AMD lately, with the under performing bulldozer, the latest top flight nvidia cards besting the high end HD 7xxx series, and now the mobo issues, things aint looking great for AMD at the moment[/citation]

[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom]i used to be a big AMD fan, but switch both platforms GPU and CPU cus of AMD just not competing[/citation]

The 7970 is on-par with the GTX 670 at 2560x1600 and is on-par with or beating the 680 at 5760x1080 and higher resolutions. Other than an occasional driver issue (Nvidia is having them too right now, look up the Kepler stuttering problem if you want to see an example of one of Nvidia's problems), AMD is doing very well. That Nvidia is only slightly more power efficient also keeps them from beating AMD much even in that regard. Nvidia's only significant win is their pricing which is continually undercutting AMD and forcing price drops.

In a few games, the 7970 even beats the 680 even at 2560x1600 (only because of Kepler's VRAM bandwidth bottle-neck. If the 670/680/690 cards had more VRAM bandwidth, they would then never lose at 2560x1600 to the 7970). Of course, don't take my word for it, have a look at what Tom's and Anand had to say and beyond that, the benchmarks themselves:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-670-review-feat-evga/5

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200-5.html

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]This doesn't happen to me because I was somehow wise enough to use a 2500K in my gaming build. ...very cheap, yet highly effective.[/citation]

The i5-2500K is NOT a cheap CPU. It's not exorbitantly expensive, but there is no way that a $200+ CPU is cheap and most certainly not very cheap. Highly effective, yes, but not cheap.

G

Yup, after the effort of all the BSOD Ive had with my Brothers AMD Sabertooth setup, we are selling the lot and going Intel z77 i5 Ivybridge!

[citation][nom]moricon[/nom]Yup, after the effort of all the BSOD Ive had with my Brothers AMD Sabertooth setup, we are selling the lot and going Intel z77 i5 Ivybridge![/citation]

Or, you could update your motherboard's BIOS.

alphaalphaalpha

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Some people were too ignorant to update their BIOS and Tom's wants to know if anyone using a BIOS that is said to have the fix is still experiencing problems and if the fix incurs a performance penalty like the TLB BIOS fixes for the affected Phenoms did.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Ah, the AMD-Hate bandwagon...always around, even on something as minor as a BSOD due to Steam that has already been fixed and only requires motherboards to have an updated bios.

Cool I see that my board made the list even though I am making do with a p2 x4. As for nvidia lately they are not so great with the flickering issues and a recall rumor going around about some Kepler based cards.

G

TH must be getting paid by Intel for all the AMD bashing going on this site lately. TH used to be a good site but can't be trusted for unbiased reviews anymore.

It never ceases to amaze me how like light to the flies the Intel and Nvidia users are attracted to something AMD related.

It is universally accepted that BD was not all it can be, but Bulldozer is redundant soon and paper talk on PD is that it is looking rather good, new radical architectures are almost certain to run into teething issues, and this is the case here.

As for the GPU's, I had been a Nvidia fan for a very long time and honestly apart from the GTX 580 Nvidia have not done a thing over AMD/ATI since the 8800 days, as for the HD 7900 vs 670/680 I think you will find the 6month older lower clocked 7900's aptly stack up to the by standards power hungry Keplers, oh and the ghz edition 7900/7870 cards are out soon, that will more than redress the balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.