[SOLVED] Doesn't boot from usb when trying to install

negue

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
Hi,
I got myself a new desktop and I'm trying to install Windows 10 with an usb which has the media creation tool on it. I entered BIOS to set the usb stick as 1st boot method, saved and restarted and it does not boot using it. All I see "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert boot Media..."
Tried both Boot modes, UEFI and Legacy+UEFI. While UEFI set up, Boot Option #1 is set to "UEFI USB Floppy". And with boot mode Legacy+UEFI, Boot Option #1 is "USB Floppy: PEAK IIIFlash Drive 0.00".

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you!

Solution
I can't tell as the motherboard manual for your board is pathetic, literally 1 page for the bios - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7C51v1.0.pdf - but on the Save & exit page of the bios, is there a choice called Boot Override?

if so, I would leave boot order as is with the ssd/hdd you want windows on as top of list, and in Boot override menu, with the USB in a USB slot, chose the USB from the listing and PC will boot from that device for one boot only, then revert to normal listing.

the actual manual isn't that specific about which win 10 drive to pick
Installing Windows® 10
  1. Power on the computer.
  2. Insert the Windows® 10 installation disc/USB into your computer.
  3. Press the Restart button on the computer...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you mean you put media creation tool itself on the usb drive then naw ya duffer :)

Media creation tool is an app used to download Windows and prepare the usb drive for you to boot from. Can be done from another computer no problem. Just install the app and follow the instructions. If this is the circumstance, you'll be good to go once media creation tool does it's thing.

negue

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
Thank you.

MSI A320M-A PRO motherboard
with an SSD Kingston A400 480GB

Don't know the BIOS version, all I can tell is it says "msi click bios" when in it.

negue

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
If you mean you put media creation tool itself on the usb drive then naw ya duffer :)

Media creation tool is an app used to download Windows and prepare the usb drive for you to boot from. Can be done from another computer no problem. Just install the app and follow the instructions. If this is the circumstance, you'll be good to go once media creation tool does it's thing.

My bad. I mean I downloaded the tool on my laptop, then used it to prepare the stick. Watched all the progress % and it said it's done (or something like that).

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't tell as the motherboard manual for your board is pathetic, literally 1 page for the bios - https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/M7C51v1.0.pdf - but on the Save & exit page of the bios, is there a choice called Boot Override?

if so, I would leave boot order as is with the ssd/hdd you want windows on as top of list, and in Boot override menu, with the USB in a USB slot, chose the USB from the listing and PC will boot from that device for one boot only, then revert to normal listing.

the actual manual isn't that specific about which win 10 drive to pick
Installing Windows® 10
  1. Power on the computer.
  2. Insert the Windows® 10 installation disc/USB into your computer.
  3. Press the Restart button on the computer case.
  4. Press F11 key during the computer POST (Power-On Self Test) to get into Boot Menu.
  5. Select the Windows® 10 installation disc/USB from the Boot Menu.
  6. Press any key when screen shows Press any key to boot from CD or DVD... message.
  7. 7. Follow the instructions on the screen to install Windows® 10.

it could be the USB drive itself, maybe try making installer on another one.

Solution

negue

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2012
it could be the USB drive itself, maybe try making installer on another one.

Yes, it freaking was the usb stick. Don't know why but it decided to just stop working, exactly when I needed it to install Windows. The damn thing is now on its way to recycling.

Thank you all for your time! I'm updating various things on my new Win10 desktop as we speak. Take care!