Doesn't reach post, powers on

GWW

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
When the 24 pin is plugged in, but the CPU 8 pin is not, power works. Lights come on, fans spin, obviously doesn't POST. If you try again with the 8 pin plugged in so that the CPU gets power, the fan spins for less than a second, and everything stops (no lights, no fans, etc). Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be?

Thank you.

Solution
I wish you luck finding a good board to work with. The X58 series was a good workhorse so it may be worth trying to get a new board. Tho if you decide to just go with the current tech, at least nows a good time to do it. The X99 series has a good solid run of boards to choose from and DD4 has become the basic standard for the new X99 and Intel 100 series.
Check for any loose connections in the power plugs or in the CPU fan. If nothings loose, check that you dont have any standoffs from the case making contact with the motherboard (other than the ones the boards screwed in to). If you're still having issues, it may be a bad PSU.

GWW

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
I tried to replace the power supply with a new one, and had the exact same issue. I reseated the CPU, and while doing that I noticed that the fan is not sitting very well because a peg was snapped. I ordered a replacement, and hopefully I'll be able to continue troubleshooting once it arrives.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Yeah that's likely to be the issue. Good luck with the replacement!

GWW

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
I received the new fan and installed it. CPU is firmly seated, and if I do not plug in the CPU 8 pin, the lights come on and the fans turn. If I plug in the CPU power, it often doesn't do anything and occasionally will light up for less than a second still. Does this sound like it could just be a busted mobo? I'd hate it if that were the case, as x58 mobos aren't cheap even refurbished.

Well that kinda narrows it down. PSU isnt the issue. CPU heatsink isnt the issue. That leaves CPU and Mobo and RAM as the only thing keeping your system from running. Which Mobo is it and does it have any kind of diagnostic to tell you if its not detecting memory?

GWW

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
The mobo is a P6X58D-E. I have 3 sticks of 2GB RAM that it was running, and I've tried them all one at a time to the same result. I can't get the machine to boot up even to the point of running any kind of diagnostics.

It looks like a short in the CPU area. Have you OC-ed?

GWW

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
No beeps at all, and I've never overclocked it. Sadly, I guess I am going to have to either get used to using my laptop or break down and buy a new mobo/CPU. Thank you for all of the suggestions, it was appreciated.

I wish you luck finding a good board to work with. The X58 series was a good workhorse so it may be worth trying to get a new board. Tho if you decide to just go with the current tech, at least nows a good time to do it. The X99 series has a good solid run of boards to choose from and DD4 has become the basic standard for the new X99 and Intel 100 series.

Solution

GWW

Reputable
Oct 27, 2015
Yeah, I would much prefer to just buy a new board and keep my CPU, but I am not positive that the board is even the culprit and I don't want to get stuck in the situation where I have just bought a new x58 only to find out that it was the CPU all along and now have to get a new 1366 CPU as well.

Thank you again for all of the assistance.

TRENDING THREADS