DOJ Examining Apple's Online Music Practices

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robcope1965

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Me, I use the Zune marketplace and Amazon. I have a Zune HD and a Nano. I just then convert the songs to put them on my IPOD. So i have the right file types for whatever device I am using. The Zune HD is by far my favorite. Don't really care about apple, but it sounds more like they were using strong arm tactics and theat is why they are being investigated.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Not even a remotely valid comparison. It would be like Best Buy threatening Ubisoft because they were going to let Gamestop be the exclusive seller of their new hit video game for the first 24 hours after release. That's nonsense. I wholeheartedly agree with what Apple did. No exclusive agreements. Competition is good.[/citation]Tayb nailed it. The rest of the arguments seem to confuse the manufacturer with the distributor.

If the manufacturer (Intel or Recording Company) pays the distributor not to sell a competing company's product, that's anti-competitive because the consumer doesn't have the opportunity to see competing products.

If the distributor (Apple) says they want to sell the product with equal rights as Amazon, that is not anti-competitive because the consumer gets the same product, no matter where they buy it.

I'd be interested to know what percent of a new song's release is downloaded within the first 24 hours. I'm sure it's substantial.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Wait... what? Apple persuaded music labels to NOT provide exclusive songs to Amazon and Apple is being investigated for anti-trust? Uh, isn't this completely backwards? I would much rather have these songs available on iTunes and Amazon Marketplace than exclusively one or the other. As far as this article goes it sounds as if Apple did it's own trust busting and stopped music labels from having any sort of exclusive agreement. I'm ignorant on this type of stuff but what the heck did Apple do wrong and why should we, the consumers, be mad at them? From the article I'm feeling the exact opposite.[/citation]
Huh.. Apple defending "open markets"!? What you have smoking? I want the same!
1. Apple was the last one to remove DRM from their store.
2. Apple has not removed the DRM from audiobooks and movies.
3. Apple has several exclusive offerings on iTunes.
4. Apple insist that iPhone is sold only on AT&T network. And has argued that unlocking and jail-braking should be illegal.
They are not doing this from altruistic reason, but if they can't have advantage nobody else should have advantage, but if they can have advantage they will take it.

By the way this has nothing to do with consumers. It is power struggle between the record companies and Apple. So did Apple created a monopoly for themselves?

No. The USA Congress and other lawmakers created the monopoly. Copyright was met to be temporary monopoly to stimulate creation of new art, but over the year this monopoly was extended to lifetime of the author + 70 years.
Apple tricked the Music executives to consolidate individual monopolies under Apple's control. This is fight between RIAA and Apple and I don't care. I will stick with independent artists.

drakenviator

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Not even a remotely valid comparison. It would be like Best Buy threatening Ubisoft because they were going to let Gamestop be the exclusive seller of their new hit video game for the first 24 hours after release. That's nonsense. I wholeheartedly agree with what Apple did. No exclusive agreements. Competition is good.[/citation]

I disagree, the question is: Was Apple (A) justified in punishing music labels (B) that offered an incentive/bonus on a song (X) to a different retailer (C)?

If you look at the larger issue; 'A' punishing 'B' for cutting a deal on 'X' when selling to 'C' then my analogy where admittedly not perfect, does fit.

This isn't about exclusivity, it never was. This is about 'B' cutting a deal with 'C' and 'A' getting angry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.