Domain Controller Help

Hello, I just bought a new computer without an operating system and I plan on having it colocated in a web hosting company building. I am interested in buying Windows Server 2003, but I don't know if I need the "Web Edition" or the "Standard Edition." They say that the Web Edition won't allow my computer to be a domain controller. I plan on pointing the nameserver IP in the interNIC registration for the domain to the IP of my server, then using DNS to point i.e. "www".xxx.com, "admin".xxx.com to the appropriate IIS website. If I have the Web Edition, and the computer is not a domain controller, will i still be able to do this? I'm kinda confused as to exactly what the term "domain controller" means. If I point the NameServer to the IP of my server, does it have to be configured as a domain controller?
ThankYou
Ryan Scully

You do not need a domain controller for this. Get the Web Edition.

--
Scott Harding
MCSE, MCSA, A+, Network+

"Ryan Scully" <ryanscully@ryanscully.com> wrote in message
> Hello, I just bought a new computer without an operating system and I plan
on having it colocated in a web hosting company building. I am interested
in buying Windows Server 2003, but I don't know if I need the "Web Edition"
or the "Standard Edition." They say that the Web Edition won't allow my
computer to be a domain controller. I plan on pointing the nameserver IP in
the interNIC registration for the domain to the IP of my server, then using
DNS to point i.e. "www".xxx.com, "admin".xxx.com to the appropriate IIS
website. If I have the Web Edition, and the computer is not a domain
controller, will i still be able to do this? I'm kinda confused as to
exactly what the term "domain controller" means. If I point the NameServer
to the IP of my server, does it have to be configured as a domain
controller?
> ThankYou
> Ryan Scully

ThankYou very much, I appreciate your help. What would I use a domain controller for? Everybody
talks about Active Directory and Domain Controllers like their a god, but i don't understand even why
you would use A.D. rather than just add a bunch of user accounts/permission under computer
management....??
Thanks
Ryan

There are many reasons why a domain model is superior to
a peer to peer model besides centralized administration e.g.,
all user accounts, security and permissions can be controlled
by the domain controller.