Question Domain Network losing Connections

riscatto

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Have a problem with Domain Network
Setup: Windows Server 2016 Essentials IP: 192.168.1.6
10 Clients Windows 10
Two Broadband Connections One is Mobile with 3 Mobile IP: 192.168.1.2 Other is with Plusnet IP: 192.168.1.254
My Client IP: 192.168.1.67

I can connect to Server by Remote Desktop
I have mapped Drives to Data which I can open
But I cannot Ping address?
Have another Client IP: 192.168.1.11
Cannot see Server but could see my Client
Moved Data from Server to my Client all okay connected fine
During the day Client lost Connection to my Client cannot find on network
Cannot Ping cannot connect?
Any ideas would be really grateful
NO DHCP on Server No DHCP on Plusnet Router
DHCP enable on 3

Ralston18

Titan
So the Client Windows 10 computer assigned IP 192.168.1.67 is the computer that has lost connectivity - correct?

Wired or wireless connection to router? If wired, did you try another known working ethernet cable?

Just to confirm: only one router ("3") is enabled to provide DHCP IP addresses - is that correct?

And any assigned static IP addresses are outside of the allowed DHCP IP address range and reserved on router "3" for the static device via the device's MAC.

Physically how are all the devices connected? Are you able to provide a simple sketch showing all network devices and IP addresses (static or DHCP)?

riscatto

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Thank you very much for your reply:
PC: 192.168.1.67 is the one I'm on now. Yesterday I could see 5 other clients?
Logged in today after logging in I can see 9 including the Server. (This may change during the day if something drops out).

The DHCP is on the Plusnet router, we have not restricted the addresses. Should we do that? to keep away from static range?

The setup is Server 192.168.1.6 by cable run to 24 port switch, 2 x Moden/ Routers 192.168.1.2 & 192.168.1.254 into 24 port switch. 2 x Xerox Printers into 24 point switch. 2 PC Clients internal wiring to 24 Port switch. 2 more Client connect to 24 Port by cable run. Upstairs we have 8 clients with feeds through internal wiring into 24 port switch. then HP printer internal wiring to switch 24 port switch. In my room there are 3 clients connected to Netgear 16 Port Switch along with 1 NAS Drive then internal wiring feed to 24 Port Switch.

Yesterday we had Client 192.168.1.112 sharing files from my PC 192.168.1.67 (Sage Data) after awhile it lost connection could not see each other. This morning everything is back and running.
This is the problem we had Data used to be stored on Server but connection was dropping out and Dat was being corrupted. So we used Sage as standalone "C" drive.
Now trying client to client we have the same problem.
I will try to draw diagram later and post.
Thanks again

Ralston18

Titan
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2173703/post-images-tomshardware-guide.htm

Subjectively, from my viewpoint, I avoid free-range IP addressing.

What that means is that I consider the number of devices being connected to the network and add in a few more for "guest" type situations.

Then I set the IP address range accordingly.

(Based on a quick count you have about 22 devices altogether and maybe 8 of them should be static IPs.)

Those devices that require static IPs (printers, NAS, cameras) I put at the front of the range and reserve the static IP addresses for each device via the devices' respective MACs. Again keeping a couple of extra static IP addresses available as spares.

After that, the remaining IP addresses are set up as the DHCP IP address range available to the router. I do not use the full default range. However that is just me and there are other ways to do such things.

In your situation, and it varies, what may be happening that a device with a static IP within the DHCP range is offline and the router gives that IP address to another device. Then the original device comes online and there is a conflict....

For now - change nothing.

Focus on the network diagram. It does not need to be a work of art.

Purpose being simply to show your devices, physical connections, IP addresses (static, DHCP) and subnet masking.

My current thoughts may prove to be wrong and someone else may spot something I am missing.

The diagram will help do that and may well garner other ideas and suggestions. I have no problem with that.

riscatto

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Thanks for reply again, we have altered it a bit now: We have Plusnet static 192.168.1.4 with DHCP allowing a range of 7 - 50
Mobile Router 192.168.1.2
Server 192.168.1.6
Then all clients Static Ip's above 50
Apart from 1 Xerox Printer set by engineer to 22. The Plusnet now should not be handing out any ips as everything is static?
The only thing we have found is that sometimes a Windows update knocks out a static address on some of the clients but not others?

riscatto

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Hello Ralston18
Just an update Client 112 lost Internet connection could still see my PC Client 67 on Network but couldn't connect
Then we all lost internet but Routers were on and connected tested with wifi on phone. could not ping routers. All lights out on 24 port switch put new one in lights on but no connections, slowly connections returned I am on the Plusnet now but I cannot connect to other router 3 mobile or ping to it, But other clients are connected and using it.
Really had us beat today even tried running long cable from upstairs to router but no connection? slowly it has returned although I cannot access 3 mobile but we are working.
Is there away to take the two Routers out of network but still have access? I am bringing in another Plus net Router tomorrow to try that.
Any suggestion I'd appreciate
Thanks again