Don’t Call It Fury: R9 Nano Is AMD’s Latest Fiji-Based Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Nice card, I like it. Could pick it up instead of a Fury X, depending on how the stock perf. holds up.

I still think they should drop the Radeon branding and stick to Fury, though. It's a much stronger name.

3ogdy

Distinguished
"In more demanding situations, the clock speed will drop to keep the power draw below 175 W" Oh great, in other words, performance will drop in more demanding situations. Of course, it will generally lose 10% of its max performance, but hey AMD finally got something right since the Fury fiasco. If it beats the GTX 970 for $650...then...RIGHT...I'll get the GTX 970 3.5GB for....that's right a whopping $300 less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121912

justinjkiss1

Reputable
Aug 27, 2015
This is designed for a Mini-ITX build... how would you SLI 2-970s in that build?

Looks like a great card for a compact HTPC with the gaming capability

sephirotic

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Whata fiasco, 649? Amd pricing of the Fury line is complete joke. Is like they deny the price and performance of the Maxwell. Come back to planet earth, AMD.
All this marketing nonsense about "miniITX" does not justify the price as we have GTX 970 in mini itx form at 350USD.
AMD is disappointing everyone, first the shameless re-branding, now, a 10 months late release compared to Maxwell, less efficient and more expensive without actually delivering performance. We need competition for Intel and NVIDIA urgent, but the way AMD is presenting a fiasco after fiasco, we're just a couple of years to see the market become a monopoly.

3ogdy

Distinguished

I know - ignore my last post - I simply couldn't delete it. Tom's Hardware forums are a complete joke. Last I tried to access the full-fledged version it got me into a redirect loop from .com to co.uk and back. These forums are slowly becoming a mess. You are entirely right - you can't SLI or CF on mini-ITX boards. Maybe AMD finally has something worth considering on the market after all the bullsheet with the Fury X fiasco.

funny I went to pc parts picker and new egg awhile back and there were several ''FURY'' cards available so a few days ago and looked and it now down to 2 ? the rest seem gone . not sold out or back ordered or showing out of stock just gone .

2 here
https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=326

2 from here
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 600566291

fury x don't look any better
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709 600566292

so how should I look at this nano ?? another fly by night card as well ? here today gone tomorrow.

was there something wrong overall and they were pulled ?? I guess we'll see how this nano goes ..

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
with all the DP and HDMI on the bottom row, wb manufacturers should included a single slot bracket. but it sucks that AIBs can't change ref specs, what is AMD afraid of I wonder...

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
For that price you can buy 2 gtx 970 and put them in SLI. Just sayin'

You could, but you can't put that into an ITX build, which is the whole point of this card.
It's the most performance you can get in an ITX sized card, hence the comparison to the GTX 970 ITX, which is the best thing you can buy today in that size.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015
with all the DP and HDMI on the bottom row, wb manufacturers should included a single slot bracket. but it sucks that AIBs can't change ref specs, what is AMD afraid of I wonder...

There will be waterblocks which have been designed with AMD involvement. I'd say there's a good chance you'll be able to get an after market low-profile bracket

I'm really intrigued by the DX12 Ashes benchmarks and the possibility that a large chunk of Nvidia's performance over the years has simply come from very, very optimized drivers.

I'd like to see benchmarks on a couple more DX12 games. If AMD continues to curb-stomp Nvidia under DX12, then the Fury/Nano series just got a lot more interesting.

Jerahmia Wood

Reputable
Aug 2, 2015
They arent bad cards by no means and slightly outperform the 980 Ti and slightly underperform the Titan X, Ither generally cost more from what i can tell. but AMD DOES NEED BETTER PRICING and better CPUs. (If it becomes a monoply, ill switch to console and get a non gaming laptop and go full linux.) the "Nano" should be cheaper than Ither the Fury X or the standard Fury not more, cuz i know damned well that that cooling solution is cheaper than ither. (This is simply my percieved opinion guys)

HOWEVER thats not to say i wouldnt be tempted to buy a "Nano" for my Mid-tower machine cuz it STILL faster than my 970 and I dont like liquid cooling (Yeah unusual i know) or the the Size of the "standard FURY" ..... IF the PRICE was LOWER! (Mid $500 range would be fair.)

COMON AMD STOP SCREWING AROUND!

artk2219

Distinguished
Nice card, I like it. Could pick it up instead of a Fury X, depending on how the stock perf. holds up.

I still think they should drop the Radeon branding and stick to Fury, though. It's a much stronger name.

The Fury branding and for that matter the Rage Branding were around before the Radeon branding. I would love to see another card using Rage in its name though. :D

As for the pricing, that's kind of a sticking point. They cant price it a whole lot lower than the Fury X because it probably performs similarly to the Fury X most of the time. It was more expensive to produce since they needed to get everything to work in such a small package. They cant price it too close to the Fury because it probably performs similarly to, or out performs the Fury, and that would hurt sales of the lower card. Finally, there's no other ITX card that's as fast. Yes you could get 2 ITX 970's, but they would take space that you more than likely dont have. Since its an ITX board. How many double PCI-E x16 slot ITX boards have you seen? Want an answer? None. Because it doesnt fit in the ITX spec. MATX is another story however. Long and short of it is... You want tiny? You pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.