Question Don’t want to re install

Dec 30, 2022
Hi so I’m currently on a z97 platform asus board and moving to a gigabyte z590 board problem is I really don’t want to re install windows I just can’t be bothered with install every app from scratch and putting my settings back to the way I like them so will my nvme drive boot up if I put it in my new board I know a clean install is what’s recommended and this is what I usually do

Most likely no it will not work, there is to much of a generation gap between cpu and motherboard from old to new build.

You roughly have a 33% chance it will work
33% chance it will work but have underlying issues that will make you wish you did a fresh install
and 33% chance it wont work and you will have to do a fresh install anyway.

I will also say 99.99% of people on here will tell you to do a fresh install.

USAFRet

Titan
Hi so I’m currently on a z97 platform asus board and moving to a gigabyte z590 board problem is I really don’t want to re install windows I just can’t be bothered with install every app from scratch and putting my settings back to the way I like them so will my nvme drive boot up if I put it in my new board I know a clean install is what’s recommended and this is what I usually do
The system does not care about your "don't want to".

Z97 -> Z590 is too many generations to hope this would actually work.

It would probably work but is not the optimal route to go down. I would guess there isn't much risk in trying because the alternative is a full reinstall anyway.

I didn't reinstall on my last upgrade, but I had a couple of overhanging niggles that forced me to reinstall a year later anyway. Windows 10 is much more flexible than past OS's but you may end up only delaying the inevitable.

My two cents would be this is a good opportunity to do a fresh install of Windows 11.

D

Deleted member 14196

😅😅 good luck with that. I can tell you right now it won’t work and no matter what you want you’re going to have to do it

Dec 30, 2022
Ok I have been told lol, the main reason was my games on the Xbox app I know I can just tell steam where my games are so I don’t have to reinstall but not sure the same holds true for the Xbox games

D

Deleted member 14196

Can't really be 100% sure about that, unless you have tried exactly the same migration path (with exactly the same hardware and configuration).
But yes, expect problems.
That generational Leap alone tells me that statistically it’s bound to fail on one or more respects. You have to remember that I used to be one of these people that thought you could do this and I’ve tried it so many times at work and different machines that we have there when they were upgraded and 99% of the time it didn’t work and the one percent time that it did work, there was problems that couldn’t be solved

I no longer argue with the mathematics of statistics

I would just take the pain now and move to Windows 11 rather than having to do it at a later date. Even if it does work and I would not be remotely surprised if it does as I've done this sort of thing before. When you've been running an operating system for several years, particular if you do a lot with the machine. Little annoyances can crop up over time which a clean install would fix.

Protect yourself first and then try it.

I have done this several times with no apparent problems.
This has always been intel to intel.
I suspect that intel to amd would be different.
Your results may be different.

First, I clone my C drive to a ssd.
The original windows C drive is removed and kept as a backup in case you need to go back to where you were. Better yet, work on the new system only and keep the original unchanged.

If you can boot with the new hardware and the cloned drive, install the drivers that the motherboard and cpu may need. If you have a bit of extra hardware around, you can keep using the original system.
It pays to Pay some $25 more for a non F processor with integrated graphics for testing.
Likely, you are also updating the ram, cooler and possibly the psu.
An extra monitor and keyboard helps, but they are not so hard to switch.

Yes, as others have said, you might encounter issues. If so, you are no worse off and will have to go the clean install route.

Reactions: Nighthawk117

ubuysa

Distinguished
You proposal (not to reinstall) is unwise in the extreme. To do so might work, but might not, and even if it does work it may well not work properly nor efficiently, and/or my cause BSODs.

I don't want to have to pay for travel insurance when I go on holiday, but it's one of those things that wise people do to avoid bitter disappointment later.