[DONE] [GL-my] Novatel Announces Personal Mobile Hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
expensive. there are some 3G phones that can allow laptops to connect through bluetooth or USB port, though this makes sense if someone doesn't have a 3G phone yet.

MrMick

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Well, the point of this product is that it allows multiple wireless connections using a single access point. If you just want to connect one PC to the Internet using your cell-phone account, this product wouldn't be the ideal solution.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I need some clarification - is the cellular connection built in to the device, or is it just a router like my Cradlepoint PHS300?

If just a router that you plug in a phone or mobile broadband device, then at $50 more than my PHS300 might be worth it for double the battery life - assuming it has as good or greater device support.

If the connection is built in, how are they going to get the various cellular companies to support this universally?

Finally, the most asked question I see about sharing mobile broadband services - with "unlimited" meaning 5 GB of data per month only, is there really any good reason you should want to share your account? (I use my PHS300 on road trips so that friends and family can get their email and such on the go - most of the people I know don't use smartphones yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.