News Don't Build a High-End Gaming PC Right Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
It would be nice if Tom's would run a i5-10400 review. Especially if they are going to recommend them! I would be interested to see if you even give up any frames over a 10600k with a midrange card

I just built a computer with my son using a i5-10400 on a Tomahawk board - Runs great. Delayed a graphics card purchase for all the reasons above and running an old 750 Ti. It is supposed to be a "school computer" anyway.

Craigslisted a massive Coolermaster Trooper tower for his build so it impresses his friends.

32" 1440 screens are cheap and amazing!
Core i5-10400 is generally going to be a bit slower than the Ryzen 5 3600 in application workloads, roughly equal or slightly faster in games. However, it also costs $20 less so it's at least viable. It all depends on what sort of PC you're planning to build. There's a reason it says "...or maybe a Core i5-10400." Basically, if you're going for a mainstream build with something like RX 5600 XT, the choice between AMD Ryzen 5 and Intel Core i5 isn't going to matter much for gaming purposes.

coloradoblah

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
I'm a Solutions Executive in IT. 42 years old and I've been in IT since I was 16. PS, don't tell my wife!

yeah I got the side eye when the 38" LG ultrawide showed up a few months ago, just after the Aeron chair and a standup desk, but she also got a new car last year so if she doesnt like it she can take a bus

Conahl

Commendable
Apr 24, 2020
Not sure they even do that anymore. The only person I have known to do that with the older gen processors took him like 4 weeks to get the processor.
i did just that back in feb/march, and i think once i did the request for it, i had the cpu here on maybe 2 weeks, took 2-3 days to flash the bios, as i had to get a moment to flash it do to work, and sent it back. when did the person you refer to, do this ?

g-unit1111

Titan
Wow, I never thought I would see this article, but here we are. The bad thing is we can chalk a lot of the demand to the fact that COVID has kept everyone at home so the only thing we can do is play games. We can also add Amazon and Newegg minion sellers to the list, they are not helping.

I personally am waiting until next year to make my graphics card and monitor purchase - mainly because I overspent this year upgrading my PC.

Maybe when COVID starts finally subsiding then the demand for new gaming PCs will also cause the market to level out a bit.

4freedomssake

Honorable
Oct 30, 2017
$549 for a GTX 1080 Founders Edition myself, when I managed to get in on the 5-minute window of the Nvidia store getting stock but before they sold out.... just sold it recently for $275.

I built an ITX system and just recently updated the BIOS on my motherboard to let it run a ninth gen i5. But I am having a hard time finding a 'newer' GPU that is low enough to fit in the case . I need one that is powerful enough to push games on my LG ultra-wide too.