[SOLVED] Don't buy a prebuilt pc(build one)

Status
Not open for further replies.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
So you should never built a prebuilt pc because if you look at the parts of a prebuilt pc individually it costs way more than it actually is because that is their profit. Prebuilt pc's are not your choice as you just buy it but if you build a prebuilt pc then it would cost less and you can spend money on customising it

Solution
Ok you are right but I was trying to say is that prebuilt pc's are good but when you find a prebuilt pc built a pc with the exact same parts the prebuilt pc is because you will be able to customise it.
To give you an example of two prebuilt's, I recently bought an Alienware R10 and an HP Omen 30L. I purchased both because of the GPU shortage and my i7-3770K with a GTX 780 just did not cut the mustard in 2020. It did in 2013 but 8 yrs later, no way.

So I set out to build me another rig but at the time CPU's and especially GPU's were hard to find unless I wanted to deal with a scalper. My Alienware Aurora R10 came with a Ryzen 3800X, Liquid Cooled 1000w PSU, 512GB NVME, 8GB of 2933Mhz RAM, Wifi 6 and an RTX 2070 Super for...

USAFRet

Titan
So you should never built a prebuilt pc because if you look at the parts of a prebuilt pc individually it costs way more than it actually is because that is their profit. Prebuilt pc's are not your choice as you just buy it but if you build a prebuilt pc then it would cost less and you can spend money on customising it
Incorrect.
There can be MANY reasons to buy a prebuilt system.

And price is not always the main determinant between buy and build.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Incorrect.
There can be MANY reasons to buy a prebuilt system.

And price is not always the main determinant between buy and build.
but you can customise your pc and build it for a cheaper price.
The perfomace can be better as well because some low cost cpu's are better than high cost cpu's and you can choose it, but it is everyone's opinion I guess

USAFRet

Titan
but you can customise your pc and build it for a cheaper price.
The perfomace can be better as well because some low cost cpu's are better than high cost cpu's and you can choose it, but it is everyone's opinion I guess
Building is NOT always less expensive.

Buy vs build:
If my ex-spouse asked me about a new PC, I'd recommend buy from Dell/HP/whatever.
Why? I'm not there to build it, and she can't build it.

If I were outfitting a 15 seat internet cafe...I'd buy 17 identical systems from Dell/HP/whatever.
I can spend my time on the business, rather than building the hardware.

For a single system, my personal build/buy line is $500-$600. Anything less than that, buy.

Building gives you far more control over the parts selection, but it is not necessarily "cheaper".

Define a budget, use case, and expected performance. Evaluate what is available.
Of course, for a laptop, that all does not matter.

Not always the case. Especially in the GPU shortage we’re getting out of atm when the price of a GPU was 3x MSRP. Also what if you want a Mac? You can’t build a legit one of those.

Also what if you don’t want to learn or want just to buy something and it work?

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Not always the case. Especially in the GPU shortage we’re getting out of atm when the price of a GPU was 3x MSRP. Also what if you want a Mac? You can’t build a legit one of those.

Also what if you don’t want to learn or want just to buy something and it work?
Ok you are right but I was trying to say is that prebuilt pc's are good but when you find a prebuilt pc built a pc with the exact same parts the prebuilt pc is because you will be able to customise it.

Depends if you want that. For some people grabbing a random box from idk PC world is good for them. Honestly with all the RGB and control software between brands now getting everything to work is a pain as is.

Reactions: Corwin65

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
To give you an example of two prebuilt's, I recently bought an Alienware R10 and an HP Omen 30L. I purchased both because of the GPU shortage and my i7-3770K with a GTX 780 just did not cut the mustard in 2020. It did in 2013 but 8 yrs later, no way.

So I set out to build me another rig but at the time CPU's and especially GPU's were hard to find unless I wanted to deal with a scalper. My Alienware Aurora R10 came with a Ryzen 3800X, Liquid Cooled 1000w PSU, 512GB NVME, 8GB of 2933Mhz RAM, Wifi 6 and an RTX 2070 Super for $1249. Not great but not bad either. At the time there was absolutely NO WAY I was coming close to that price with the GPU shortages. Deal wise a 7/10

The Omen 30L I bought directly from Amazon for $1999.99 and it came in a Mid Tower Aluminum case with an i9-10850K, Liquid Cooled, Corsair 750W Platinum PSU, RGB Lighting, 32GB of HyperX Fury 3200Mhz, 1TB NVmE, 2TB HDD, WiFi 6, RTX 3080. The Omen 30L uses a close to proprietary case with standard parts and the fit and finish is top notch. Again, there was not a chance in Satan's dungeon I was coming close to that price if I wanted to build it myself. Deal wise a 10/10

So the bottom line is, you find quality prebuilts like the Omen 30L cheaper than it would cost you even excluding the GPU shortage. The Alienware desktops are a joke but it serves me well as a 1080p rig for now. The Omen 30L is hooked to a 4K setup.

Reactions: Corwin65
Solution

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021

So I set out to build me another rig but at the time CPU's and especially GPU's were hard to find unless I wanted to deal with a scalper. My Alienware Aurora R10 came with a Ryzen 3800X, Liquid Cooled 1000w PSU, 512GB NVME, 8GB of 2933Mhz RAM, Wifi 6 and an RTX 2070 Super for $1249. Not great but not bad either. At the time there was absolutely NO WAY I was coming close to that price with the GPU shortages. Deal wise a 7/10

The Omen 30L I bought directly from Amazon for $1999.99 and it came in a Mid Tower Aluminum case with an i9-10850K, Liquid Cooled, Corsair 750W Platinum PSU, RGB Lighting, 32GB of HyperX Fury 3200Mhz, 1TB NVmE, 2TB HDD, WiFi 6, RTX 3080. The Omen 30L uses a close to proprietary case with standard parts and the fit and finish is top notch. Again, there was not a chance in Satan's dungeon I was coming close to that price if I wanted to build it myself. Deal wise a 10/10

So the bottom line is, you find quality prebuilts like the Omen 30L cheaper than it would cost you even excluding the GPU shortage. The Alienware desktops are a joke but it serves me well as a 1080p rig for now. The Omen 30L is hooked to a 4K setup.
ok ok

D

Deleted member 14196

I failed to see the question in this question post. You seem to create an awful lot of threads.

This post is not a question this was a rant

Jacob 51

Notable
Dec 31, 2020
Yes I respect your thinking.

But there are different reasons to buy a prebuilt PC.
1. If you don't have time and knowledge.

2. If you want to use custom water cooling. Yes that is a tiresome job. A lot of people would like to do it, but there is a lot of tools you need for this job.

3. GPU shortage. If you want a good graphics card right now, the only way to get one is to buy a prebuilt system because the GPUs are out of stock.

4. Guarantee. With a prebuilt PC you are absolutely sure that the PC WILL run. When building it yourself, you have the fear that one or more components may have a problem.

5. Cost cutting. The OEM manufacturer will try as hard as they can to reduce the price. By making their own motherboards, own cases and using low wattage PSUs. For example if you need a PC whose components take a total of 160 watts, the OEM manufacturer will give you a 180 watt PSU.

Of course, Prebuilt PCs have a lot of disadvantages over a self built system.

9to5tech

Great
Jul 15, 2021
Yes I respect your thinking.

But there are different reasons to buy a prebuilt PC.
1. If you don't have time and knowledge.

2. If you want to use custom water cooling. Yes that is a tiresome job. A lot of people would like to do it, but there is a lot of tools you need for this job.

3. GPU shortage. If you want a good graphics card right now, the only way to get one is to buy a prebuilt system because the GPUs are out of stock.

4. Guarantee. With a prebuilt PC you are absolutely sure that the PC WILL run. When building it yourself, you have the fear that one or more components may have a problem.

5. Cost cutting. The OEM manufacturer will try as hard as they can to reduce the price. By making their own motherboards, own cases and using low wattage PSUs. For example if you need a PC whose components take a total of 160 watts, the OEM manufacturer will give you a 180 watt PSU.

Of course, Prebuilt PCs have a lot of disadvantages over a self built system.
yeah it depends on the person

I have been a geek for almost 20 years i have not owned a pre built pc for 7 years and these are the reasons why.

1. The psu are usually only just powerful enough for the componants inside so if say you want a better graphics card later on you will probably need a new psu.

2. They are made to a price , example ... a well known shop sells dell pc's but if you look at the same machines on dells own website they have different componants inside.

3. A few years when you want to upgrade a prebuilt pc they can turn into a money pit and the upgrades can cost what you first paid the the machine.

4. After as little as 1 month , if a prebuilt pc goes faulty some stores insist on it being repaired and not replaced.

5. Pre built pc's contain lots of bloat wear that only work x number of times or for a certain length of time and can be difficult to remove , custom or self built only contains the op sys

6. The only good thing about pre built is that if it goes for repair and fails again you can then insist on a new one because sales act says it must now be " fit for purpose "

Story time ....... my last ever pre built failed the day i got it , the g card and the mobo was faulty , i demonstrated to the major chain retailer it was faulty and left the machine for them to test. I returned to the store the next day and the manager said in between serving customers the staff had played wolfenstein all day ( i left the disc for them ) , they said it never crashed once.
I showed the manager the game was set to auto save progress ever 30 mins , there were no saves recorded so i knew the staff were lying to me. I said if you dont replace the machine or refund me i am going to trading standards , the machine was out of stock so i got a refund.

Status
Not open for further replies.