Aug 27, 2019
My laptop: Dell Inspiration G3

My RAM (text on the RAM):

--------------------------------------------------
8GB 1Rx8 PC4-2666V-SA1-11
HMA81GS6AFR8N-VK NO AC 1802

--------------------------------------------------
(brand: SK Hynix)

So I am going to upgrade my 8GB RAM to 16 by using another 8GB to second slot. I think my best option is buy the exact same RAM as I have in first slot. BUT I can't find it. I found a lot of similiar ones. With one or more differnet letters/numbers. I don't know what is what, so I don't know which symbols matter and which not. Or shouldn't I be finding by this informations? Should I just find some ram with exact same parameters and buy this? Some fast guide to me would be really helpful, thanks.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Just remember that RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same packs). Regardless as to the make / model / timings. This is because the manufacturing process changes frequently, so technically 2 of the same model, could actually be manufactured differently, and therefore not be compatible.

Making sure they are the same timings etc. is a way of minimising the risk, not eliminating it. So realistically if you are already planning on mixing RAM modules, you're probably at no extra risk finding a different model, but one that shares the same timings etc.

Not saying it never works, but it's a 50/50 gamble. This is why it's best practice to buy a whole new pack when upgrading.

In effect if you are going to mix, try and equalise:
  • Speed/frequency (3000, 3200, 2666 etc.)
  • Voltage
  • Cas Latency (CL16, CL17 etc.)

But again, even if you find the exact same, no guarantee.

Aug 27, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Just remember that RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same packs). Regardless as to the make / model / timings. This is because the manufacturing process changes frequently, so technically 2 of the same model, could actually be manufactured differently, and therefore not be compatible.

Making sure they are the same timings etc. is a way of minimising the risk, not eliminating it. So realistically if you are already planning on mixing RAM modules, you're probably at no extra risk finding a different model, but one that shares the same timings etc.

Not saying it never works, but it's a 50/50 gamble. This is why it's best practice to buy a whole new pack when upgrading.

In effect if you are going to mix, try and equalise:
  • Speed/frequency (3000, 3200, 2666 etc.)
  • Voltage
  • Cas Latency (CL16, CL17 etc.)
But again, even if you find the exact same, no guarantee.

Thanks, this is really helpful.
So I dont need to look at company/brand of RAM at all? All I need to do to minimalize risk is to check if parameters and timings are same?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks, this is really helpful.
So I dont need to look at company/brand of RAM at all? All I need to do to minimalize risk is to check if parameters and timings are same?
Well ideally you need to buy a whole new pack of RAM :)

All I'm saying is if you are mixing anyway, there is probably (realistically) no different risk in going for a different model but with the same parameters. Just trying to get them to match is better than buying two completely different types of RAM.