Question Dont know if i just got scammed or if im just too new at building pcs

Jul 23, 2021
This friend sold me a motherboard which is from a pre built but said taht it works in this CiT F3 case but i cannot see where any of these cables would even go on a cv 650 fully modular or hell even the case when i asked him for advice he just said to find a tutorial when there are none for this case and a pebuilt motherboard idk what to do

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Front panel I/O is not typically standard on OEM boards, one of the reasons people don't often use them. You don't NEED to plug that in unless you want the front USB ports to work.

Power button isn't strictly necessary either, you can force the PSU to start. Windows does still offer the ability to do the old fashioned 'safe shutdown' and then you would just kill the power to turn the system off.

These are all super budget options though, if you can afford a standard motherboard, do that. You can re-use the memory and CPU, but would need a new CPU cooler since that is also proprietary to the board.

This friend sold me a motherboard which is from a pre built but said taht it works in this CiT F3 case but i cannot see where any of these cables would even go on a cv 650 fully modular or hell even the case when i asked him for advice he just said to find a tutorial when there are none for this case and a pebuilt motherboard idk what to do
It IS a Dell...from an older pre-built. The cable in the hand is for a USB 3.0, which that board probably lacks on-board. You'll need to get an adapter to plug into one of the card slots for USB 3.0. I don't even see a USB 2.0 header, to be fair. I may be missing it.

I see it at least has a 24 pin for the PSU to connect, and a 4 pin for CPU power. The front panel connectors don't look very clear and/or don't follow ATX standard lay-out. You'll really need the Dell data sheets to figure out what goes where if it's not silk-screened on the board for Power, Reset switches and Power and HDD LED's.

And HD-Audio....well...that's a mystery. But if it has jacks on the rear panel what more do you need?

Whether you return to your friend depends on what you were expecting and how much you paid. It's do-able to get it into an ATX standard case (you got it mechanically installed so standoffs, PCIe slots and I/O matches up at least) but you have to be a bit of a sleuth to figure out all the connections. In the end...it's old and not going to have nearly as much capability as anything modern so that had best be what you were expecting.

One thing that's troublesome is that strange, large, black header on the lower right corner in the picture with what looks like a blue jumper. What is that? proprietary? why jumpered? does it need moving for different HDD's or GPU's or something?

My suggestion is look on the board for some numbers, especially what looks like a part no., and start Googling for some data. If you can figure which Dell system it went in would be helpful too, so you at least know WTF you got.

Last edited:
Large black header most certainly is proprietary header for proprietary Dell PC case front panel. Coupled together with some jumper switches at one side.
You might be right...i just took a zoomed-in look at the board picture and the header right next to it (which I figured might be the FP header) is actually the USB 2.0 header. I'd want to confirm pin-outs before plugging on an ATX standard front case USB 2.0 interface connector though. I can't imagine Dell caring one whit if you burn up their board should you have the temerity to plug it up to an ATX standard case.