Don't know if this is a GPU problem or something else.

killerskink

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
Normally I scour the absolute farthest reaches of the internet to come up with a solution before I actually make a post myself, but I've finally gotten so fed up after several months that I actually made an account so I could ask my question specifically.

I consider myself pretty good with computers, both in the software and hardware departments, (although that's probably not true in relation to the users on this site) so trust me when I say I've really troubleshooted like crazy here.

Ok so now that that intro is done, I have a custom-built rig that I use almost exclusively for gaming. It's kind of a mismatch of parts, with some parts like the case and motherboard being 5+ years old, and others being newer, like the Harddrive, which is less than 3 months old.

When I bought the harddrive, it was because the previous one had become corrupt or something, and so I bought a new one and did a full system reformat, reinstalled the OS, etc. I didn't even create any backup files since it was just games on Steam mostly, so I truly had a fresh install. With Windows 10, I was having some weird framerate issues that I wasn't used to, because with the previous HD and OS I had no frame issues. I tried reinstalling drivers, CCcleaner, nothing worked. Even low-spec games like League of Legends would sporadically falter frame-wise, going from 200 frames to 20 and jumping all around. Dark Souls 1 is unplayable, same with Arkham: Origins.

Eventually, Ok, I got tired of this and so I did ANOTHER full reformat, this time installing Windows 8 and keeping it at that instead of upgrading to Windows 10. For a couple days this was fine, League of Legends ran perfectly, and while Dark Souls 1 was still pretty unplayable (I had read its optimization for PC's is completely garbage) Dark Souls 2 ran smooth as butter. I thought all was right in the world and I had fixed my problem, but just a few days later League starts to break again and I'm seeing fps issues in Dark Souls 2 now. (DS1 is completely, utterly unplayable).

My fear is that the GPU is busted, but before I go to buy a new one I'd like any input that's possible. If it's really a hardware issue, why would the games run perfectly for a few days and then not? I've been monitoring heat, and it's not a heat issue.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, and sorry for the gigantic wall of text.

Here are my specs btw:

Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1075T PRocessor 3.00 GHz

Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB

System Type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7950

VorpeHD

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016
I highly doubt it's the GPU, this sounds like faulty ram or a faulty HDD, is there other ram you can test? is there another HDD you can test? do you have anything else in the background when you play?

killerskink

Commendable
Mar 14, 2016

Nothing in the background, the HDD is brand new so I doubt it's faulty. I have an extra pair of RAM sticks but I've switched them in before and not had any success.