Don't quite understand RAM

misterdevin

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Hi, I just had a quick question. I'm getting this laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215662

And I was just wondering about the RAM. From reading around, I want 8 GB of RAM. But the thing is, I'm not sure about the specs, like latency, MHz, etc.

I saw that for this computer on crucial.com's RAM Guide that this has PC3-12800, 204-pin 4GB RAM. I want to get another 4 GB, but I just wanted to know what would work with it. Something in reasonable price (less than $30). It also says 1600MHz, so can someone please either tell me what to look for when I am searching, or find one for me? Thanks.

when you go back to cruical web page. see if asus uses one dimm or two in the laptop and how many open slots the laptop has.
on the web page will give you the laptop ram speed and volatge and part number. write that part number down. if there one 4g dimm in the laptop then you need one 4g dimm. if they used two gig dimmd and filled the slots your going to have to buy a 8g kit(2 by4g) dimms or one 8g dimm. with the part number and speed of ram look on google shopping for ram sale prices and new egg and micro center. myself i spend the extra money and buy crucial from there web page or new egg. with good ram vendor your going to get a lifetime warranty on the ram.