Doom 3 BFG Edition Now Available in North America

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]blaaaargh[/nom]Bethesda can bite my nuts by the way. The Fallout series is the only thing they really have going for them. Fortunately for them however, most gamers can't tell the difference between a good game and a mediocre one.[/citation]

Yes, because their Elder Scrolls series are terrible... /sarcasm

My only beef with Bethesda is the console love.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
The new bundle is mainly optimized for consoles, Xbox 360 Achievements, PS3 trophies.
In other words this game has now been officially kiddie consolized, sad, real sad but money talks, I will pass on this.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]deepblue08[/nom]Personally, I loved Doom 3. I hope they make Doom 4 using the latest and the greatest DirectX has to offer.[/citation]
No, Open GL as Doom has always supported you MS Tool.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I have read a few reviews and its got me waiting till it goes on sale this Christmas. Honestly so far what I have heard, the sound is piss poor, and other than the armor mounted light, and the new levels its exctly the same. Why didnt they add coop, the original doom, and doom 2 had coop, so why not this one? I dunno ID is really beginning to make some bad decisions, they must be losing their mind in their old age. And yes, why hasn't there been an updated heretic, or hexen, those were bad ass games! Shame on you ID, you suck!

"He said the team updated the lighting so that it's somewhat brighter throughout the game. A new armor-mounted flashlight is also provided, allowing players to illuminate dark corners and blast enemies at the same time."

Now that! is an improvement!...
I played through the original (Doom 3) and all I can remember was that it was crazy dark and you could never see where you were going or what's happening. Sure scary, dark, I get it but come on, it was waaay too dark. I'm glad they saw that and made the change.
Plus with them improving the game making it play faster, more fun and redesigning the levels it might make this a worthy purchase.

"The new bundle is mainly optimized for consoles, Xbox 360 Achievements, PS3 trophies.
In other words this game has now been officially kiddie consolized, sad, real sad but money talks, I will pass on this."
Doom 3 was released BEFORE the current consoles hit the market. Meaning it hasn't been dumbed down in anyway. It's actually been improved. The common thought is that console hardware of today is holding back games (graphically speaking). That may be true for most games but NOT this one as it is remake. So you can go ahead and claim it's been "kiddie consolized" but my thought is that they won't make very many sales on the consoles for this game. Personally I couldn't play a FPS on a console.

"No, Open GL as Doom has always supported you MS Tool."
Actually OpenGL wasn't introduced to the Doom series until Doom 3. Doom and Doom 2 were rendered using software rendering. OpenGL was first used by id software in Quake 1.

athlondude

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I currently own the original Doom 3 and its Expansion, and everything I have read in the way of reviews and etc. says that if you already own the original dont waste your money on this one. The reasonings were based on things like poor sound quality, and not enough new content. So yeah lighted armor is an improvement, and the new levels provide extra content, what is really all that new and exciting about it? Its still the same boring game with a couple new things, thats it. There was a coop mod someone made for Doom 3 that was just as popular as the duck tape mod, why didnt they add that as well? I dunno, once again I have to say ID is losing their touch, and really need to think outside the box because honestly, they aren't the video game mega giants they once were. Lets have a new Heretic, or Hexen, do something new and innovating, but dont rehash the exact same shit, put it in a different box, and hope that enough people buy it to make up for the piss poor sales of your last failure.

G

I think a lot of people here are whiners. I'm 38 and I always enjoyed Doom. Now that I can have all three and play while sitting in my big lazy boy I'm happy. I could not care less if the game does not look as good as the 2012 you need super rig with nuclear reactor connected to run game. I will enjoy the game and I will have tons of fun scaring my three kids while we play together.

It's a good idea getting doom back for consoles and it's cheap as hell at 40$ for three games.

paulemannsen

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Doom 3 was awesome. i hate that scripted pseudo war like feel from todays cod crap, where you can basically do nothing, just standing around, and still beat the game.

army_ant7

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Now only if they put some of that "Rage tech" in Doom 1 and 2. :lol:

You guys don't know how much empathy I have for that. :love: I do wish they kept with the RTS tradition and made Warcraft IV, but no... They had to make WoW. :cry: Well, I guess I can't blame them and a lot of people seem to be/have enjoying/-ed that game. But a graphics overhaul/remake of the past ones (or even just the availability of Warcraft I and II would be really nice). I'm not sure if any of you guys are into this, but imagine playing DotA on a graphically revamped Warcraft III (though DotA 2 is pretty much out already).

I was gonna mention to the 1st quote that maybe they can use OpenGL as well and that Rage, IIRC, uses it, though two people mentioned that Doom 3 runs with OpenGL (which I didn't think of, and I should've because I think id Software is known for using it).

(I only gave a thumbs up to 3rd quote because he/she was more informative, and, unlike the 2nd quote, wasn't rude. :p)

Well, here's to hoping that Valve's progress with improving the performance of the OpenGL implementation with GPU makers' drivers pays off (if it hasn't already (been implemented in the current drivers)) so that games like these run better! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.