Doom 3 RoE Ending ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

On Tue, 17 May 2005 13:38:35 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
wrote:

>John Lewis wrote:
>> On Fri, 13 May 2005 18:41:27 +0200, Walter Mitty <mitticus@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>>And, of course, they keep you informed when they (shock horror) refill
>>>the shelves?
>>>

>> In my Babbages, the 15 copies of Roe are on a back shelf jammed with
>> a bunch of other sub-$20 titles. Unlike the "currently hot" titles
>> they are not in a front display by themselves, which would certainly
>> mask any replacement. It was fairly obvious that the block of RoE had
>> not been disturbed very much, and why should the store put out any
>> more to take up valuable shelf space that can be occupied by oither
>> titles. If you would like, next time I visit the store, I will ask the
>> store manager roughly how many RoE have been sold per week
>> over the past month and report back here. OK, we got a deal ??
>>
>> Also, since Babbages' have officially cut the price to $19.99 at least
>> 2 weeks ago, they must be in an overstock/poor-sales situation.
>> Babbages' is not at all noted for their generous pricing on new PC
>> titles.
>>

>Cutting prices is not normal where you come from?? All FPS games get
>slashed not too long after initial market penetration.

It doesn't seem to be as normal as it should. At one random visit to
EB-Games, I've seen old (and non-famous) games selling for around $40.00 -
a very high price for something that isn't from a "proven" developer.

I could understand the high price for something like Doom 3 or Quake 3 -
the "true" price centers around the rights to develop light mods for the
engine, in the hopes that there is a full-scale source code licence that
gets purchased as well. But anonymous games tend to be a very high risk,
as there's no guarentee about the quality of the game or potential mods.

On Sat, 14 May 2005, Walter Mitty wrote:

> Sure, the FC Engine did palm fronds and water very nicely - but did you
> see HL2 water? HL2 sunsets? HL2 grime and tat?

HL2 water and sunsets look much worse than FC if you have a DirectX 8
video card. Strange that VTMB did them better...

> The proof is in the pudding and the total lack of any player inspired
> mods indicates that Far Cry failed to capture the imagination of many
> people. technically a lovely engine : gameplaywise a flop IMO.

I don't know about multiplayer mods, but there are at least as many good
singleplayer missions out for FC than for HL2 if not more. Both games were
rather different and my ideal shooter would be a combination!

As for multiplayer mods, I really don't understand why all these similar
multiplayer mods still appear for each new engine or game. Haven't the
players got bored by Counter-Strike and consorts yet?