'Doom' Showcased With Impressive Framerates On GTX 1080 And Vulkan

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonkaler

Distinguished

Exactly. I was saying that ID was not one of the first companies to use it, by a long shot.

mellis

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
If I can get an average frame rate of 60 at a high setting, then why would I need to invest more money in a card that can take me above that? Still going to hang onto my i7 3930K and AMD 390X for a while.

eriko

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
^
Just say no to Win10...
My personal info is more important than a game!

Indeed, it is. Those who think otherwise must have zero personal emails, company files, or otherwise on their machines. And they don't mind their contact being scooped up, nor their keystrokes logged either.

How is this impressive exactly?
The new Doom is a watered down console port. It's nothing outstanding as far as pushing hardware limits. There's nothing particularly outstanding in Doom that would push a modern GPU to a crawl.
No one on PC cares about the new Doom.

Let's see some VR benchmarks.

^
Just say no to Win10...
My personal info is more important than a game!
If you use Google, you are a hypocrite

Not true.

Also, I use https://startpage.com

I did a search, and even with ad blocker, ads by Google pulled up.

You are a sucker.

Windows 10 does not really track personal information. It only tracks performance issues and whatever info you give it.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/no-microsoft-is-not-spying-on-you-with-windows-10/

Stop reading the headlines.

Puiucs

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
Also it seems nvidia is pushing for vulkan more than DX12. Maybe beause they were better than AMD in Vulkan? There are review comparing DX11, OpenGL and Vulkan with principle of talos. Regardless of frame rate (because i don't remember the exact number of FPS) Fury X is faster than 980ti in DX11. But with Vulkan 980ti come out on top. Though both Vulkan numbers are batter than their opengl counter part.
No words about AMD support for Vulkan in this game. Will it work?
While this demo was run using the Nvidia card, why are people forgetting that Vulkan was built on top of AMD's Mantle API?
the principle of talos numbers mentioned are from a broken "beta" implementation of Vulkan where the framerates are far below DX11 on both AMD and Nvidia.

"Nvidia also told us that the YouTube demo utilized a Titan X GPU instead of the new GeForce GTX 1080 card from the initial demo." What kind of crap is this? Show a video for the GTX 1080 and use a different GPU? My trust in nvidia was thrown away with my GTX 970 - more of the same - DECEPTION!!!
-Bruce

manleysteele

Reputable
Jun 21, 2015
I own a GTX970. As a 1440p gamer, I wanted a GTX980. I searched very hard for the $200 difference in value between the two cards. I don't know yet if I'm in the market for a 1080 or even a 1070. I don't bother running a frame counter for a game unless I'm seeing problems on my screen. I only have two frame rates in mind. Enough and not enough. If I can see the framerate, that's not enough. If I decide a 1070 or a 1080 will improve my games enough to see, I may buy one. To me, it all depends on the value being there. There would have to be a big jump in performance for me to even consider such a purchase. Performance beyond "apparently instantaneous" don't interest me.

yoitsmegabe

Reputable
Jul 27, 2015
I like that nvidia is supporting vulkan because it could mean a solid alternative to directx 12. It could mean developers that normally add gameworks or other nvidia tech to their games will also add vulkan support. I'm all for options and will use whichever technology works best with each particular game.

wifiburger

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
"The complaints of data collection in 10 are greatly exaggerated."

yeah not really!, switching toggles in windows 10 for privacy and even disabling component still sends info to microsoft,

Run the privacy tool by SpyBot and see how many privacy settings are left "on"

"The complaints of data collection in 10 are greatly exaggerated."

yeah not really!, switching toggles in windows 10 for privacy and even disabling component still sends info to microsoft,

Run the privacy tool by SpyBot and see how many privacy settings are left "on"

Yeah, but what data are they collecting, exactly?
It's mostly just license agreements for technical issues and license agreements for their cloud services (which you don't have to use).
You can just disable Cortina and web search, and that's about it. I don't have any issues with diagnostic information being sent, they are ultimately the ones responsible for performance.

You can't do anything on the internet without some form of data collection. That's how it works, you send data to a server, where it is stored and processed.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006

What you just days is completely false. The NDA says it will share you folder and File list (which includes your username), cortana (never actually disables just says it does ) shares your search terms (local searches and web searches, even with no history saved), and your web history.. all tied to your GUID, IP ADDR, and the stamps. All in the Win10 terms and privacy conditions...

Metzenw

Commendable
May 11, 2016
So.. Why all this focus on Vulcan? Is nVidia doing everything they can to pull attention away from AMD's possible better performance with DX12? nVidia has always been good at miss directing there short comings. No breath will be held from me, until I see Real benchmarks.

fixxxer113

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
If I can get an average frame rate of 60 at a high setting, then why would I need to invest more money in a card that can take me above that? Still going to hang onto my i7 3930K and AMD 390X for a while.
How is this impressive exactly?
The new Doom is a watered down console port. It's nothing outstanding as far as pushing hardware limits. There's nothing particularly outstanding in Doom that would push a modern GPU to a crawl.
No one on PC cares about the new Doom.

Let's see some VR benchmarks.

On the subject of how impressive it is, I will have to agree... I played the Doom beta on an i7 940 (stock) + 6GB RAM + GTX 660 (slightly OC'd). The only issue I had hardware-wise, was that I ran out of RAM when I had AA activated. Other than that I could hit 60 FPS (not stable mind you, but overall the game was really smooth). Hitting stable 60 FPS with the 1080 does not say anything. The impressive thing would be, either to have great VR performance as some have pointed out, or to have great performance in 4K in modern games with a single card.

0InVader0

Commendable
Apr 12, 2016
I see many confusion about 1080 being 2x faster compared to this and that.

During the presentation JHH mention that 1080 will about equal to 980SLI. to be 2 times faster than titan x they need 1080 to be at least as fast as titan x in SLI. AFAIK 1080 are almost equal to 2 titan x is referring to VR application only. This is due to new tech/hardware they have in pascal.
No, no, no, no that's not how it works. 2 cards in SLI will never give you 2x performance, not even when we are talking about pure processing power.

I will say this though, the 1070 being faster than Titan X does sound rather suspicious though. My guess is also that it only outperforms TitanX when it comes to VR, or some kind of other special condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS