[SOLVED] Door latch found inside a HX1200 psu

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jun 18, 2022
Hi,
I'm new here. I think this is worth sharing,

I just bought a brand new HX1200 psu from amazon, package arrived and everything was fine, all sealed. This morning I opened the package and found something strange in the rear panel, something like a door latch. I opened it and in fact it was a door latch, and a bunch of other metal parts and stuff that have nothing to do with the circuit. All glued all over the circuit with black goo. It is incredible to me that CORSAIR could let something like this happen.

View: https://twitter.com/Davcuriel/status/1538231579234795520

FVjlRM5UEAA5ENu

FVjlRM5UYAEK4Xm

Solution
Agreed! the other interesting thing is it was sold and comes directly from amazon, so obviously that's another weak link and something worth looking into in their investigation ( if any! )
Yeah, the previous customer apparently did a good enough job in resealing the wrap and probably came up with a good enough excuse to make them think it was returned unopened so they just put it back in inventory without any human thought. I doubt that they'll do much unless they can trace that specific unit's serial number through their system. Plus with the volume they do its not cost effective to spend the time it would take to investigate, so they'll probably just dump it. The really bad thing is that they keep records of the volume and...
Jun 18, 2022
Upon further inspection, looks like the rear, front and the fan grill don't match that of a HX-1200 psu. But the sides and bottom ( with a sticker and HX logo ) do.

I'm guessing the unit was swapped by a prior buyer. They only took the cover from the real HX-1200 and put it on this unit. They swapped it and put it back and sealed the box carefully to make it look unopened. I am also guessing the door latch and scrap metal was added to match the weight of the original ( maybe amazon weighs their returned items as a step to ensure the unopened package is not missing anything? )

But why add the electronics black goo? I am also guessing that was to isolate the scrap metal from the other components so the psu would turn on if tested. If they this seems like a pretty sophisticated scam. Amazon buyers beware.

FVloD3oUYAA5SC7

FVloD3sVEAArLvL
FVloD3rUcAAncOI

Jun 18, 2022
This is nothing new. Crap like this happens all the time with products from Newegg, Amazon, B&H Photo, Best Buy, etc.

Like this one, where somebody took the heat spreader off a newer CPU and stuck it on an older CPU and returned it. Scammers gonna scam.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/cpu-won’t-fit-in-motherboard.3411892/#21632440

Unfortunately, the state of things... thank you for your input. The worst part is that most people will think we're making this up when you try to warn them. I had to delete a Reddit thread about this because people started calling me a liar and needy for attention.

Reddit is a cesspool of idiocy anyhow. Why anybody would want to go there for anything other than information that MIGHT be properly presented, and factual, from some previous thread that happened to already address what they were looking for, but even then I'd want to see it either coming out of the mouth of somebody I know for a fact I can count on to be trustworthy and accurate, or else it's relatively worthless. And there are only so many of those. But I can tell you that the core members and moderation team here are not a bunch of idiots. They are a bunch of very experienced veteran technicians and geeks, and so long as one of them is relaying the information to you, you can pretty much generally take it to the bank.

Reactions: Dave09p
Jun 18, 2022
Reddit is a cesspool of idiocy anyhow. Why anybody would want to go there for anything other than information that MIGHT be properly presented, and factual, from some previous thread that happened to already address what they were looking for, but even then I'd want to see it either coming out of the mouth of somebody I know for a fact I can count on to be trustworthy and accurate, or else it's relatively worthless. And there are only so many of those. But I can tell you that the core members and moderation team here are not a bunch of idiots. They are a bunch of very experienced veteran technicians and geeks, and so long as one of them is relaying the information to you, you can pretty much generally take it to the bank.
On point! I just wanted to share my situation on reddit to warn potential customers and and hopefully find someone who had experienced a similar situation, honestly all I found there was a bunch of brand fanboy kids in denial... lesson learned!
Community here is great, everyone is so helpful. I am glad I joined.

Jun 18, 2022
For anyone still interested and just to provide some closure:

New PSU replacement arrived today from amazon. Everything is fine with this one, works like a charm. Also noticed it is larger, so the fake one just had the original stickers pasted on the side and top. You can also notice bad cuts if you look carefully. So, this was a scam, by prior client or someone at amazon warehouse.

Thank you everybody for your help!

Reactions: dwd999
That's why they added the "hardware" inside, so they could return a much lighter (Because it has substantially less substantial components inside. Just like cheap speakers are always lighter, cheap PSUs are generally lighter as well) PSU with the labels swapped and it wouldn't automatically feel "off". They glued them in place so they wouldn't be obviously bouncing around inside the case. Pretty damn lame that Amazon return department didn't double check. It costs like 13 cents to re-shrink wrap a package with cellophane and ANYTHING that gets returned should have the box opened to verify it's contents but Newegg and Amazon simply don't do it.

Reactions: Dave09p