Dotcom Threatens to Sue Google Over Two-step Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I hate Kim Dotcom. I think the specific legal issues he's in are trumped up. I'm confident that he was conducting business actions with MU that would be considered criminal, but no one would agree that what came to him was proportional to his actions. However, his past behaviors in business show that he's not some altruistic person that the tech community wants to make him out to be, and what I've read about him makes me really dislike him. He's ruethless, and gladly trampled anyone in his way.
Regardless, the original source points out that there's prior art that could easily invalidate his patent.
He's just trolling for help out of the situation he's in.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
Seriously doubt Facebook, Twitter, and especially Citibank will help fund his defense. And this would probably fall under the "do no evil" part of google if they backed him. And quite frankly it sounds like he doesn't have the money to take on any of them over this patent. So I don't see him getting any funds from them anytime soon.

teh_chem

you say trampled anyone in his way, all the other companies have done this don't kid yourself it's only that they hide behind the mask of a brand name and the people incharge insulate themselves using layers upon layers of management, just like organized crime, no way to get to the top as the old saying goes shiat rolls downhill

nino_z

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
I like this guy, he has a good approach. The internet is like space - endless and free, and i am against one country or another going up against Kim for offering people Cloud space. That's just unfair. It's like putting the creators of the cooking knife in jail, cause it's been used as a murder weapon once. Shame on you.

Afrospinach

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2012
So he cannot pay for legal proceedings and is appealing for help with a threat of legal proceedings. What an outstanding character this guy is.

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
If his funds are frozen and he can't pay for his legal defense, I'm sure these big companies will laugh at his face for threatening to sue them (whether he has a case or not). Can't sue if you don't have the money.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Ugh, these pathetic attempts at squeezing money out of companies are disgusting. I guess when you're backed into a corner and really need money, you'll do anything, but still.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
First, I don't know that he's ever used the patent, therefore it is possible the exclusivity of the patent has already expired. Most patents have a requirement that they be in use over a period of time or else the patent is considered unenforced.
Second, I doubt Mr. Dotcom has the ability to sue Google, Twitter, etc. As he says, he doesn't even have enough money to defend his own case. I doubt he would then have enough money to launch and wage a lawsuit against what are some of the largest companies in the world who either by cost, principle, or optics, would rather not get involved with Mr. Dotcom.

fightingslu

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
Well this puts those three companies in a kind of interesting position. Obviously they do not want to be seen supporting a man who is synonymous with piracy, but they have all spoke out against CISPA and there could be a reaction out of their users if they ignore this.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
The way the the US has handled Dotcom is a disgrace, you can say what you like about the guy and personally i think the guys got a screw loose but the fact that they have basicly put him in a position where he cannot even defend himself is a disgrace. I can go on youtube right now and watch full movies, tv episodes, songs etc. that are in blatant violation of copyright law yet i dont see the US government, seizing all of googles servers and freezing all their assets and money.

How much copyrighted material is being stored on the various cloud solutions provided by big business? A LOT and yet they get away with it, why is that? At the end of the day he did take down copyrighted material, the amount of megavideo links that i've clicked on only to see that the video had been removed. You can say all you want that he didnt do enough but you shouldnt rob him of all his money so he cant even afford a decent lawyer. You are basicly saying that every penny he made was made through illegal means, which it obviously wasnt.

To me it just shows how corrupt the legal system is in America and how much sway the media organisations have within the gorvernment

truromeo4juliet

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
I don't think Google, Facebook, or Twitter would want to be viewed as supporting MegaUpload or Kim Dotcom if it might hurt their PR. They'd be better off getting sued and then settling to avoid any ill opinions from the public that believes MegaUpload is guilty. Kim should know this, but with such substantial legal trouble, asking for help from anyone is going to be a first reaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.