Dothan Release Date?

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
Ingram Micro in the UK are taking orders for boxed Dothan Processors with an expected delivery date of the 30th April 2004 which seems to concurr with the fact that Dell will announce new Laptop models featuring the Dothan Chips next week. The cost of the 1.7GHz 2MB Level 2 Cache Chip is £256.67 + VAT. Also, the new Intel Network Wireless Card 2200 a/g formats is on sale for £16 + VAT with first stocks due in late next week.

<A HREF="http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=8&t=158336" target="_new"> No links but I got it from neowin and the is more stuff here </A>

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Dothan 2Ghz will be seeing daylight May 10th... <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mobile/display/20040416131314.html" target="_new">Here's the article</A> from Xbitlabs. Interesting news.

Plus, it consumes less power than Banias. Which of course makes me very curious as to what the heck is going on with Scotty's 125 million transistors. How come?...

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
2 megs of cache and at 2 giz. should be a zippy cpu alright. I wonder performance wise how it would compare to a p4? I wonder if they will make a desktop version anytime soon?

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Remember our rule of thumb? Banias performance is equivalent to a P4 of 1.5 times Banias' clock?

The funniest think about a 2Ghz Dothan is that if this thing has the same IPC as Banias, then it's a rough equivalent to a <b>3Ghz</b> Pentium 4! And it's supposed to have 10% better per-clock performance due to cache enhancements and so on... So it should be even faster.

Which kind of justifies its very high number in Intel's new numbering system: 7xx, because of its very, very good performance.

(actually, if a 2Ghz Dothan performs in the same range as a 3Ghz processor, then who cares about the overheating P4s? Let's just get this baby, at less than 25W! Wow.) Or think dual-core, if it's just 85mm^2!

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Mephistopheles on 04/17/04 09:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
actually, if a 2Ghz Dothan performs in the same range as a 3Ghz processor, then who cares about the overheating P4s? Let's just get this baby, at less than 25W! Wow.) Or think dual-core, if it's just 85mm^2!

When you going dual core or more that not the transistor count as a whole that change something.Is the number of logic transistor that count as cache would be share.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by juin on 04/19/04 06:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
> Banias performance is equivalent to a P4 of 1.5 times
> Banias' clock?

I think that is a fairly optimistic rule of thumb.. and at the very least assumes a 400 MHz, single channel P4B as comparison. Even then 1.4x would probably be more like it, sometimes even a lot less, depending on the apps.

>The funniest think about a 2Ghz Dothan is that if this
>thing has the same IPC as Banias, then it's a rough
>equivalent to a 3Ghz Pentium 4

If anything, I expect it to have a (slightly) higher IPC as Banias, if for no other reason as the cache. It might indeed be comparable to a hypothetical 3 GHz single channel 400 MHz P4, but that would be what, similar to ~2.6C ? If the cache does more than what I expect, maybe a 2.8C. Thats definately not shabby for a notebook processor, but its not stunning (desktop) performance either, especially not considering the price tag, and the fact its a top end 90nm part. Now toss in a higher speed FSB, dual channel, and you'll be getting somewhere, but probably at the cost of considerably higher power.

Still, looking forward to reviews, and desktop comparisons.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =