Doubt with RAM speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017
Hello,is it always better to get a RAM with the max speed (Mhz) by default without overclocking? for example,if my board supports maximum 2666 Mhz without O.C,it will be much better than buying a 3000Mhz and running it in O.C mode,considering my board can support up to like 4000Mhz?

Solution

See, this is why I closed this thread in the first place, but then I reopened it because you said you were serious. Now it looks like you are not serious again, and are just playing games.
What are your system specs for motherboard and CPU?

Often what the motherboard SAYS it can support and what it can actually support are dependent on what processor, how many modules and the quality of the memory as well.

While it might run a single module or even a pair at 3600-4000mhz it might only run quad modules at 2800-3000mhz. It varies based on many factors.

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

I think that info doesnt matter,i just need to know if is always better to buy a RAM with the maximum speed available by default in X mobo rather than a higher one which will run by default in O.C.

Idk if is confusing.

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Ok,i give you another example

Let's say i have a board with Z270 chipset that supports up to 3866 MHz of RAM and an intel core i5 7400 proccessor or intel core i7 7770K.The board can run by default without O.C at this speeds,2133,2400 and 2666,but going higher will need to XMP or Overclock it. 3866(O.C.)/3733(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/3466(O.C.)/3400(O.C.)/3333(O.C.)/3300(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)

If i buy one or two modules of ram that runs by default 3000 Mhz,is better to buy the 2666Mhz? because the first would run at that speed in O.C,and as you know O.C is not that good,the voltages goes up,tension,more heat,less lifespan,overall,etc... So my question if is always better to aim to the maximum speed default speed that a motherboard offers?

When you ask for information from somebody who knows, because you don't know, and they ask for specific information so they CAN help to get you the answers you are looking for, you don't generally tell them "I think that information doesn't matter".

Yes, it totally matters. If it didn't matter I wouldn't bother to ask. Good luck.

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

I currently have intel core i5 7400 Kaby Lake 7th gen LGA 1151

and Motherboard ASUS Strix Z270H.

RAM Corsair LPX vengance 8GB 2400Mhz ,single module.

is that enough?

You can gain some performance in certain games and applications by increasing your bandwidth.

I wouldn't worry too much about it though, and the method I would do is buy another IDENTICAL stick (see motherboard manual for placement of two sticks) so you run in Dual Channel with 16GB now available.

If you GOOGLE this you get mixed results as it varies wildly by what application is used, the CPU used (i.e. vs i7-7700K at 5GHz which needs more bandwidth) etc.

This might be DDR3 but the data applies just fine:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/1349-ram-how-dual-channel-works-vs-single-channel/Page-3

I could probably find a few games where you get over 10% gain (by doubling the available bandwidth),depending on game, resolution etc though I think that would be rare.

You can attempt to manually overclock your current stick of memory (if it's 2400MHz) though that can lead to instability. You should at least run MEMTEST86 after.

Do note that excessive VOLTAGE may cause damage to the CPU's memory controller. I believe 1.5V is the max you want there but I'm not certain.

Yes, I would either go with another module exactly like the one you have now OR buy two totally new modules in a matched set. Using matched sets is always a safer bet anyway. For your configuration I'd probably recommend a matched set of DDR4-3000 or 3200mhz modules. Over 3200mhz you are unlikely to see much benefit anyhow.

As mentioned, SPEED isn't as much the key as dual channel operation is. Without two modules that will play nice together you will not see dual channel operation, and of course you can't get it with only one module installed. Dual channel will double your bandwidth throughput, but will not double the data rate. It is already double data rate memory.

OC vs XMP vs default is irrelevant. Running memory at anything higher than it's advertised speed, while it may work, will as you said lead to increased stress on the memory controller due to the probable increase of voltage you'll need to apply in order to get them stable. Just get a pair of 3000 or 3200mhz modules in a set, or get another module exactly like the one you currently have. Then, set the XMP value in the bios and forget about it. It doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

So anybody understood my second example?

Im not a fan of overclocking,i dont like reducing my overall lifespan components.

I dont want to overclock anything.

I just want to know,if is always better to buy the maximum speed ram by default available in a board.

How can i make you guys understand what im trying to say...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

We undestand what you are saying.

First off your fear of wearing out components is unfounded. Unless you overclock the hell out of your parts and jack the voltage way high your components will be way obsolete before you ever wear them out.

Secondly its always best to get the fastest rated memory you can (within reason, i.e. I wouldn't spend $100 extra for 200mhz more), BUT while your board may support up to say 3866 memory your cpu may not. Keep in mind DDR4 for example natively runs at 2133 or 2400 mhz depending which model you buy. When you buy DDR4-3200 all it is is 2400 memory with an XMP profile up to 3200mhz, and rated stable at that speed. Meaning its perfectly safe to run it at that speed with the OC required to get there effectively "forever".

But back to the CPU, for example in your case you have an i5-7400 you mentioned. That CPU is locked. When it comes to XMP profiles for memory to be stable beyond a certain point it may require a small OC to the CPU, again nothing that would hurt it. Your CPU however cannot be overclocked. The fastest I would go is DDR4-3000 with your CPU, anything faster won't be stable because your CPU cannot be overclocked to match it.

Theres no hard answer to your question, it depends on board and CPU. The only reason you can even run that memory is because you have a Z270, most people who buy locked CPUs don't even bother to use that type of board they stick to a B250. But you're not going to break anything running fast memory.

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

Hello.

Im aiming for a new build system for 2018,check my other post please.

So is it always better to run RAM natively at maximum speed non O.C ?

See, this is why I closed this thread in the first place, but then I reopened it because you said you were serious. Now it looks like you are not serious again, and are just playing games.

Solution

becontroller

Prominent
Oct 10, 2017

I'm soon deleting my account BY MYSELF,i hate forums because of too many rules,no liberty expression,so much bs.Well i have to keep updated myself to just migrating to other forums.Good bye.Sorry,but your pressence just doesnt do me well.Is weird but is the best for us.Good bye.

I have been through many gaming forums,computer,animals,pets,animes,informational,etc... and im so tired of this strict rules,if i could make an own forum i would put all ones as the provided link.

http://persephonemagazine.com/2012/05/why-i-hate-forums/

Because if i keep posting and asking for useless questions that no one understands,im just wasting others time,creates a toxic scenario.You would also reply all my threads,and ignoring you doesnt help at all.

Im so sick of moderators,admins,i would like to meet a really nice guy and just accept,listen everything i say in a good way.

Good bye dudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.